Country Guide: Hong Kong
Due to the current coronavirus/COVID-19 situation and restrictions in various countries, the below information may not be accurate. This pandemic is a fluid situation. Check with authorities for local laws and restrictions concerning movements.
Find movers in Hong Kong now!
Used Household Goods and Personal Effects
- Copy of passport (identification pages only)
- Original bill of lading (OBL) / air waybill (AWB)
- Detailed inventory
- Owner of the goods’ full contact details in Hong Kong (address, telephone, fax number, email address, etc.)
- All household goods and personal effects can be imported free of duty.
- Original vehicle documentation
- Original purchase invoice
- Insurance certificate
- Certificate of registration (must show boat dimensions)
- Import declaration
- Certificate of registration must be submitted to Marine Department for application of import permit within 24 hours from arrival of effects.
- Left-hand drive cars cannot be imported.
- All vehicles are subject to strict regulatory inspections and high first registration taxes.
- Taxes are set to discourage the personal import of vehicles; it is highly recommended that an estimate of costs before shipping a vehicle, be obtained.
- First registration fee is based on value, as follows:
- Private Cars:
- From value HK $0 to 150,000 : 40%
- On the next HK $150,000 : 75%
- On the next HK $200,000 : 100%
- On the remainder : 115%
- 35% of value
- All vehicles must comply with the exhaust and noise emissions standard.
- Approval / exemption from the Environmental Protection Department before shipping vehicles into Hong Kong are advised.
- Vehicles must satisfy local standards.
- It is difficult to obtain insurance for vehicles older than 10 years.
- Import permit
- Health certificate from origin country
- Quarantine is not required for dogs imported directly from the United Kingdom.
- Plants and plant products (special license is required)
- Weapons and ammunition (special license issued by the Hong Kong Police Department is required)
- Alcohol (detailed list showing quantity and CIF value is required):
- Duty is payable on the CIF value depending on the liquor and the alcohol strength:
- Liquor with 30% alcohol by volume or less is duty free.
- Liquor with more than 30% alcohol by volume measured at a temperature of 20 degrees Celsius is charged 100% duties.
- Liquor other than wine with less than 30% alcohol by volume measured at a temperature of 20 degrees Celsius is duty free
- Wine is duty free.
- Tobacco (passengers age 18 and older may bring the following limited quantities duty free):
- Cigarettes (10)
- Cigars (1 or 25 grams)
- Other manufactured tobacco (25 grams)
- Illegal drugs
- Firearms, explosives and ammunition (permission required)
- Knives and deadly weapons
- Controlled chemicals
- Pets and animals (permission required)
- Meat and poultry
- Rough diamonds
- Counterfeit goods
- Pornographic material
Recommended: Contact the destination agent to ensure all requirements have been met prior to import, especially for differences regarding air / sea shipments.
Cultural and Other InformationCIA World Factbook
IAM Note: Customs regulations can change at any time with or without notice. This document is provided as a guide and for information only. While IAM has exercised reasonable care in publishing this document, IAM makes no representation, either expressed or implied, as to its accuracy or applicability.