Country Guide: Hawaii

Due to the current coronavirus/COVID-19 situation and restrictions in various countries, the below information may not be accurate. This pandemic is a fluid situation. Check with authorities for local laws and restrictions concerning movements.

Print Friendly and PDF
Updated: November 25, 2015

Find movers in Hawaii now!

Find a foreign embassy in Hawaii

Find Hawaii's embassies in other countries

Used Household Goods and Personal Effects

Note: Shipments from the other 49 states in the United States are not subject to U.S. Customs. Shipments to Hawaii from foreign countries are subject to all the same rules and regulations that apply to the rest of the United States. Only shipments of used household goods and personal effects may enter the U.S. under Informal Entry. Please see the shipper’s guide for the United States for additional information regarding the import of household goods and personal effects into Hawaii.


Documents Required

  • Copy of Passport (some ports require Passports for all family members listed on the 3299)
  • Form CF-3299 – Declaration for Free Entry of Unaccompanied Articles, if applicable
  • Permit C – Household Goods Permit (if importing alcohol)
  • Supplemental Declaration (required by most ports)
  • Detailed inventory in English
  •  Copy of Visa (if non-US citizen or permanent resident) / copy of Permanent Resident Card
  • I-94 Stamp / Card
  • Copy of Bill of Lading (OBL) / Air Waybill (AWB)
  • Form DS-1504 (Diplomats)
  • Form CF-6059B – Customs Declaration
  • A-1 Visa (Diplomats)
  • Importers Security Filing (ISF)


Specific Information

  • All shipments are subject to examination at the discretion of Customs officials.
  • Do not indicate “packed by owner” (PBO) or miscellaneous descriptions on the detailed inventory.
  • To import household effects (furniture, dishes, linens, libraries, artwork and similar household furnishings, etc.) for personal use, the items must have been available for personal use or used in a household where the shipper was a resident for 1 year and is not intended for another person or for sale. The year of use does not need to be continuous not does it need to be the year immediately prior to the date of importation.
  • The I-94 is an arrival stamp / card in the Passport of all foreigners that indicates the length of time they have been admitted into the USA (some ports require a copy of the card).
  • All foreign Diplomats (A-1 Visa types) are required to be processed via the Department of State on a DS-1504 form, which is submitted to the Department of State by the Consulate / Embassy of the Diplomat at least 10 days prior to arrival of the shipment.
  • Brokers are not allowed to clear Customs on CF-3299 entries for foreign Diplomats holding an A-1 Visa.
  • For duty-free clearance, household goods must have been used at least 1 year in the foreign household prior to shipment from the origin country.
  • The importer must hold the proper long-term Visa (non-B1 / B2 Visitor’s Visa) to import household goods duty free. The importer can only import personal effects, e.g., clothing, camping gear, toiletries, etc. on a short-term Visitor’s Visa.
  • It is important for agents in the origin country to make sure the ISF is timely filed prior to the sailing of the vessel from the last foreign port for all ocean shipments to avoid penalties.
  • Customs and other government agencies can require a variety of different types of examinations that result in costs from USD 200-1700 or more on a full container load (FCL) shipment.
  • Most household items used less than 1 year will require duty to be paid. It is important for the importer to list those items in detail on the back side of the Customs Form 3299. The importer should list the item, quantity, what material it is made out of, the value paid for the items in US dollars and the country of origin of the items.
  • Shipments from the other 49 states of the United States are not subject to U.S. Customs requirements, but shipments from foreign countries to Hawaii are subject to all of the same rules and regulations that apply to the rest of the United States.
  • Only shipments of used household goods and personal effects may enter the U.S. under Informal Entry.
  • Due to the fragile and unique ecosystem that exists in Hawaii, additional examinations may be ordered. If the inventory for a household goods shipment indicates that it contains any garden tools, outdoor furniture, playground equipment, motorcycles, scooters or any other items used outdoors, it is likely to be examined by U.S. Customs. If Customs finds outdoor items to be dirty or contain insects or snails, they will notify the State of Hawaii Department of Agriculture. The State may require the entire shipment to be cleaned, fumigated or frozen to clean potential bacteria or kill any invasive species. Shippers may be required to pay for the cost of this process, which can be very costly and it may result in damage to household goods. For example, bedding, clothing and other fabric items may smell and foodstuffs may become inedible after fumigation. Many electronics may not work after being frozen. Shippers should make an informed decision regarding moving outdoor items to the U.S.
  • U.S. Customs may order intensive exams on any shipments containing food products, medications or liquor. The shipper is responsible to pay for the exams, which can be costly, and the process of unpacking the entire shipment for inspection and repacking can result in damage to household goods. The government authorities are not responsible for any damage that may occur during inspection.

Motor Vehicles

Documents Required 

  • Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) Form EPA-3520-21, if applicable
  • OBL (foreign purchased vehicles)
  • Form CF-7501 – Entry Summary
  • Bill of Sale / Pro-forma Invoice with Statement of Value (foreign purchased vehicles)
  • Title of ownership translated into English (foreign purchased vehicles)
  • Department of Transportation (DOT) Form HS-7
  • Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) Form 3520-1 (foreign purchased vehicles)
  • Proof of conformity by either:
    • USA Title / Registration, or
    • Letter of Conformity from the manufacturer
    • Foreign military sales contract that indicates vehicle meets USA-EPA / DOT regulations
    • Exemption as a 25 model year old vehicle as proven by the title
  • Copy of a U.S. Title or Registration when previously registered in the USA (vehicles previously owned and shipped from the U.S. by the returning importer)
  • Completed EPA-3520-1, DOT, HS-7 and Customs 7501 forms (vehicles previously owned and shipped from the U.S. by the returning importer)
  • Letter of Permission from the EPA (non-residents importing vehicles as a tourist)


Specific Information

  • For vehicles previously owned and shipped from the U.S. by the returning importer, the ownership names must match with the consignee of the shipment on the vehicle Title and Registration.
  • A non-U.S. resident can import a vehicle for a period of up to 1 year as a tourist, but no extension will be allowed. The importer is required to obtain a permission letter prior to shipping the vehicle from the EPA.
  • Vehicles imported by non-residents for tourism may not sell or offer for vehicle for sale and it must be exported prior to the 1-year period or is subject to seizure and penalties by Customs.
  • Some ports of entry (POE) require a bond for up to three times the value of the vehicle to ensure the timely export of the vehicle. Additional port specific declarations may be required for this temporary importation
  • A Bill of Sale or Pro-forma Invoice with the statement of value must include the vehicle’s description, vehicle identification number (VIN), model and year of manufacture.
  • In general vehicles that are 25 model years old and with the original drive train are exempt from EPA / DOT regulations.
  • Vehicles less than 25 model years old that were not previously titled in the USA must comply with EPA / DOT regulations.
  • The cost and time to bring a vehicle into compliance by an ICI (certified conversion shop) make the process an unwise economic decision in most cases.
  •  It is strongly recommended not to import non-complying vehicles. In the event an importer elects to attempt to import a vehicle it should be sent separately from household goods and personal effects shipments to avoid delays in the receipt of the shipment.
  • It is important to know that any imported vehicle, new or used, must comply with U.S. safety, fuel savings, and air pollution control standards. If an imported vehicle does not conform to these standards, it must be brought into conformity; otherwise it must be destroyed or exported.
  • The importer must make arrangements with an ICI shop in the USA prior to shipping the vehicle in order to get an estimate and to determine if the vehicle can be brought into compliance.
  •  Marine engines and gas-powered generators are also subject to EPA requirements and Form EPA-3520-21 is normally required for those items.
  • The U.S. Department of Agriculture requires that the undercarriage of imported cars be free from foreign soil before they can be entered into the U.S. This may be done by steam spray or by thorough cleaning before shipment.
  • Do not store personal items in any motor vehicle.


Documents Required

  • Rabies Vaccination Certificate
  • Veterinary Health Record


Specific Information

  • The importation of pets is subject to health, quarantine, agriculture or wildlife requirements and prohibitions.
  • Pets are subject to examination at the first port of arrival for any evidence of disease.
  • A valid rabies (rage) vaccination certificate must accompany dogs arriving from areas not free from rabies.
  • There is no requirement for a rabies certificate for domestic cats.
  • Check with the USA agent for any special certificates and admission requirements required, providing the common and scientific name of the animal along with the country of origin that it is being shipped to ensure all appropriate government agencies can be contacted.
  • Most turtles and monkeys are not allowed entry into the USA.

Antiques, Artifacts, Carpets, Paintings

Documents Required

  • Purchase Invoice
  • Detailed inventory


Specific Information 

  • U.S. Customs requires items to be at least 100 years old be classified as antiques.
  • A recently purchased antique should indicate the circa date on the invoice.
  • Antiques are duty free.
  • Carpets of Iranian origin that have been used in the foreign household for at least 1 year and being imported with the owner’s household goods and personal effects are generally approved for import. It is recommended that if you have a large number of carpets or they are new that you do not ship as the USA currently has an embargo on Iranian origin goods, subject to change at any time.
  • Paintings of nominal value can be shipped with household goods shipments.
  • Artifacts of any type should not be shipped without first checking with the USA agent and the country of export, as different regulations may apply depending on the country of origin, type of artifact and circa date. Additionally, many countries are parties to CITES Treaties or Acts that don't allow the import or export of certain types of artifacts or require permits that must be issued prior to export.

Restricted/Dutiable Items

  • Plants and seeds (an Import Permit and a PPQ Form 505 – Plant and Plant Product Declaration are required)
  • Soil (an Import Permit is required)
  • Biological materials of public health or veterinary importance (an Import Permit is required)
  • Meats and meat byproducts (e.g., bouillon soups)
  • Medications
  • Fruits and vegetables
  • Game and hunting trophies
  • Gold
  • Merchandise from embargoed countries (a license from the Office of Foreign Assets Control is required)
  • Pets
  • Wood packing materials (materials from China must be fumigated, verified by documentation)
  • Textiles and clothing



  • The importation of alcohol is governed by both Federal and state laws. In general the Federal Government allows a reasonable amount of alcohol to be imported in a household goods shipment. If Customs feels the amount is excessive they will require the importer to hire a licensed alcohol importer to file a commercial entry.
  • Domestic importers should comply with the residence state laws which vary from state to state. Some states allow no alcohol imports while others require the importer to obtain a permit and pay a fee and still others allow a reasonable amount. Each state has regulations and must be consulted before making a shipment.
  • A detailed inventory must be made at the time of packing in order for food and drug filings to be performed and proper duties and taxes to be paid on the shipment.
  • If liquor is contained in the shipment, the shipper is required to apply for a Liquor Permit with the City and County of Honolulu Liquor Commission on Oahu. The importer must appear in person to apply for the permit and provide the permit for the liquor to clear U.S. Customs.


Food Items

  • In general it is better not to ship food items.
  • Food products also require a detailed inventory for food and drug filings and duty payment.
  • A Food Questionnaire form must be completed if importing food items.


Fish / Wildlife

  • Ivory items, skins, feathers and shells are regulated by Fish and Wildlife.
  • Many of these items require special CITES Permits or may be prohibited from being imported.
  • It is critical for the origin agent to consult with the U.S. agent to determine if an item requires a permit or can be legally imported. The permits cannot be issued once the shipment has left the origin country.
  • The destination agent will need to know the common, scientific names and country of origin to determine if a permit is required.


Inherited Goods

  • Inherited goods (can be imported duty free if over 100 years old, proven through documentation and were available for use in the shipper’s place of residence for 1 year prior to entry into the United States. It does not have to be the year prior to the inheritance (e.g., the items were in the shipper’s parent’s house during the shipper’s childhood).



  • Guns (ammunition should not be shipped as it is a hazardous good) previously owned and shipped from the U.S. can normally be imported if military, government personnel can establish to the satisfaction of Customs that the items were sent from the U.S.
  • The best method is for the owner to register the weapons with Customs prior to export from the U.S. If the importer does not have a registration then a copy of sales receipts, the export OBL, inventory and a Declaration will sometimes satisfy Customs.
  • Weapons purchased overseas are normally required to be imported using a Federal Firearms permit holder but some exceptions do apply to allow non-resident individuals to apply for a permit directly with Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms (ATF).
  • The ATF Permit filing should be applied for at least 6 weeks in advance of the arrival of the shipment. The application requires that the Customs broker who will handle the entry be named on the ATF application, so it is important that the application is filed properly from the start to avoid delays on arrival.
  • The importer should consult with the USA agent when considering shipping any weapons and provide all the facts regarding how and where the weapons were acquired. It should be noted that not all types of weapons can be imported.

Prohibited Items

  • Tuna
  • Drug paraphernalia
  • Haitian animal hide drums
  • Cuban cigars
  • Blank tapes and CDs from Iran
  • Absinthe
  • Counterfeit items or items inappropriately using a federally registered trademark
  • Products made from dog and cat fur
  • Flavored cigarettes, including cloves

Consignment Instructions

Recommended: Contact the destination agent to ensure all requirements have been met prior to import, especially for differences regarding air / sea shipments.



Cultural and Other Information

CIA World Factbook

Wikipedia Entry for Hawaii

Special Notes: Because Hawaii is politically part of the United States, the CIA lists its information as part of that country's Factbook page.

IAM Note: Customs regulations can change at any time with or without notice. This document is provided as a guide and for information only. While IAM has exercised reasonable care in publishing this document, IAM makes no representation, either expressed or implied, as to its accuracy or applicability.