Country Guide: Dominican Republic
Due to the current coronavirus/COVID-19 situation and restrictions in various countries, the below information may not be accurate. This pandemic is a fluid situation. Check with authorities for local laws and restrictions concerning movements.
Find movers in Dominican Republic now!
Used Household Goods and Personal Effects
- Original bill of lading (OBL) / air waybill (AWB)
- Detailed inventory in English or Spanish
- Marriage / divorce certificate, if applicable
- Resident visa (if the owner of the goods is requesting a tax exemption)
- Proof of residence abroad for at least 2 years (returning citizens)
- Commercial invoice (if new furniture and household goods are included in the shipment)
- Diplomatic franchise (diplomats)
- New and used appliances are subject to taxes and duties.
- The owner of the goods’ presence is only required at Customs clearance upon the owner of the goods’ request or if the owner of the goods has a Dominican residence and is requesting an exemption from taxes and duties on used electrical appliances and furniture.
- All shipments are subject to demurrage charges
- Contact the destination agent for additional information and rates.
- Customs clearance takes approximately 5 days.
- Diplomats may import household goods and personal effects shipments duty free by request from the embassy or consulate at origin through the Dominican Foreign Relations Office.
- Returning citizens having lived abroad for at least 2 years with no more than 180 days stay in the Dominican Republic during that time may qualify for a tax exemption.
- Wood packaging materials must comply with ISPM-15 regulations.
- Original title / registration
- Original bill of lading
- Purchase invoice
- Diplomats may import motor vehicles duty free.
- Returning residents living abroad for more than 2 years with less than 180 days in the Dominican Republic stay during that time may apply for a partial exemption.
- Vehicles must be less than 5 years old from the date of manufacture.
- Non-motorized bicycles may be imported free of duties if part of the household effects shipment.
- Motorized boats must pay approximately 20% of the purchased price.
- Motorcycles are subject to duties.
- Rabies vaccination record
- Veterinary health certificate
- Birds will be quarantined for a minimum of 10 days.
- Pets may be imported duty free.
- The veterinary health certificate must be issued at origin within 15 days prior to import and indicate that the animal(s) has been free of disease for the 3 months preceding arrival.
- Authorization from the Department of Agriculture and the National Zoo is required for importation.
- Live plants (phytosanitary certificate from origin prior to arrival and a permit from the Dominican Agriculture after arrival are required; plants should not be sent as part of the household goods shipment or risk confiscation/destruction upon arrival)
- Alcohol and wine (only small quantities for personal consumption are permitted)
- Food items (only small quantities for personal consumption are permitted)
- Medicines, narcotics, and drugs (a doctor’s prescription is required and are duty free; otherwise, the owner of the goods may face criminal prosecution and penalties or deportation)
- Household goods and new furniture (commercial invoice is required and the items are subject to payment of duties)
- New electrical appliances (subject to duties)
- Firearms (military permit for personal firearms must be obtained in-person after the arrival of the owner of the goods but prior to shipment arrival; the owner of the goods may face criminal prosecution and penalties if unauthorized items are found in the shipment)
- Appliances, spare parts, and machines (are subject to duties)
- Dangerous objects / weapons
- Pornographic and subversive materials
- Illegal drugs
Recommended: Contact the destination agent to ensure all requirements have been met prior to import, especially for differences regarding air / sea shipments.
Cultural and Other InformationCIA World Factbook
IAM Note: Customs regulations can change at any time with or without notice. This document is provided as a guide and for information only. While IAM has exercised reasonable care in publishing this document, IAM makes no representation, either expressed or implied, as to its accuracy or applicability.