Country Guide: Republic of the Congo
Due to the current coronavirus/COVID-19 situation and restrictions in various countries, the below information may not be accurate. This pandemic is a fluid situation. Check with authorities for local laws and restrictions concerning movements.
Find movers in Republic of the Congo now!
Used Household Goods and Personal Effects
- Copy of passport (including page showing entry permit)
- Packing list
- Original bill of lading (OBL) - no express release accepted / ocean freight invoice / air waybill (AWB) (2 copies)
- Detailed valued inventory in French, signed, and dated by the owner of the goods
- Original detailed inventory of new items bought less than 6 months prior to import, valued, and signed by the owner of the goods with original invoices attached
- Letter of employment
- Original job transfer letter (from employer overseas, with start and end dates of employment)
- Original certificate of change of residence (issued by local authority in origin country)
- Bordereau Electronique de Suivi de Cargaison (BESC) / Electronic Cargo Tracking Note (ECTN)
- Work permit (issued by Ministry of Labor)
- Certificate of first settlement (issued by Immigration Department)
- All original documents must be received by agent at least 15 days prior to arrival of the shipment to obtain the certificate of free entry from the Customs head office.
- All personal effects shipments, including diplomatic shipments, are liable to payment of two taxes:
- La redevance informatique (computer tax) at 2% of cost, insurance, and freight (CIF) value
- La taxe ARC (assurance) at 0.8% cost and freight value
- Pre-shipment inspection is not required for personal effects shipments or second hand cars, but is required for brand new car shipments (even if diplomatic).
- COTECNA is the designated accredited inspection company.
- Please contact the company in the origin country to schedule the inspection.
- Customs clearance for sea shipments is approximately 4 weeks.
- Customs clearance for air shipments is approximately 1 week.
- Original registration card
- Copy of purchase invoice
- OBL / invoice for freight paid
- Original invoice
- Non-sale certificate
- Vehicles cleared without exemption are approximately 54.1% of the value estimated by Customs.
- The OBL must show chassis number, engine number, cubic capacity, year of manufacture, brand and model.
- Certificate of vaccination
- Veterinary health certificate
- The veterinary health certificate must state the animals are free from ticks and have not been exposed to contagious diseases.
- An additional rabies certificate must prove vaccination against rabies more than 30 days but less than 12 months prior to arrival if an inactivated or Kelev vaccine was used, or 36 months prior to departure if an avianized (Flury) was used; if an avianized vaccine was used, the certificate must be issued within 15 days prior to departure.
- Pets are subject to inspection upon arrival.
- Pets may enter as accompanied baggage or in cargo.
- The following items may qualify for free import within the limits indicated:
- Cigarettes (100), cigars (50), tobacco (1/2 lb.)
- Alcoholic beverages (1 bottle)
- Perfume (a reasonable amount for personal use)
- Cameras (may be temporarily imported by tourists)
- Radios, tape recorders, record players (subject to duties)
- Satellite and radio communications equipment (authorization is required)
- Arms and ammunition (an import license is required)
- Firearms and ammunitions (authorization from the territorial administration is required)
- Unlawful drugs
- Alcohol (only “Fond de Cave”) is acceptable and is duty free (30 bottles)
Recommended: Contact the destination agent to ensure all requirements have been met prior to import, especially for differences regarding air / sea shipments.
Cultural and Other InformationCIA World Factbook Entry for Republic of the Congo
IAM Note: Customs regulations can change at any time with or without notice. This document is provided as a guide and for information only. While IAM has exercised reasonable care in publishing this document, IAM makes no representation, either expressed or implied, as to its accuracy or applicability.