Country Guide: Democratic Republic of the Congo
Due to the current coronavirus/COVID-19 situation and restrictions in various countries, the below information may not be accurate. This pandemic is a fluid situation. Check with authorities for local laws and restrictions concerning movements.
Find movers in Democratic Republic of the Congo now!
Used Household Goods and Personal Effects
- Original bill of lading (OBL) / air waybill (AWB) (2 copies)
- Packing list
- Detailed valued inventory in French, signed, and dated by the owner of the goods
- Work permit issued by Ministry of Labor
- Certificate of first settlement issued by Immigration Department
- Work visa
- Fiche Electronique de Renseignements al I’Importation (FERI)
- Exemption certificate, if applicable (diplomats)
- Diplomatic shipments can be imported duty free provided that the diplomatic organization has received the exemption certification from the Ministry of Foreign Affairs.
- To apply for the exemption, original documents are needed including original AWB for air shipments to the destination agent at least 14 days prior to shipment arrival.
- All original documents must be received by agent at least 14 days prior to arrival of the shipment.
- Original registration card
- Original purchase invoice
- Non-sale certificate
- Original certificate of title / registration
- The taxes on motor vehicles depend on the age, weight, power, etc., and range approximately between 8% to 46% cost, insurance, and freight (CIF).
- The OBL must show chassis number, engine number, cubic capacity, year of manufacture, brand, and model.
- Certificate of vaccination
- Veterinary health certificate
- Import permit
- The veterinary health certificate must state the animals are free from ticks and have not been exposed to contagious diseases and must be issued within 15 days of import.
- An additional rabies certificate must prove vaccination against rabies more than 30 days but less than 12 months prior to arrival if an inactivated or Kelev vaccine was used or 36 months prior to departure if an avianized (Flury) was used; if an avianized vaccine was used, the certificate must be issued within 15 days prior to departure.
- Pets are subject to inspection upon arrival.
- Pets may enter as accompanied baggage or in cargo.
- The following items may qualify for free import within the limits indicated:
- Cigarettes (100), cigars (50), tobacco (1/2 lb.)
- Alcoholic beverages (1 bottle)
- Perfume (a reasonable amount for personal use)
- Cameras (may be temporarily imported by tourists)
- Radios, tape recorders, record players (subject to duties)
- Satellite and radio communications equipment (authorization is required)
- Arms and ammunition (an Import License is required)
- Firearms and ammunitions (authorization from the territorial administration is required)
- Alcohol (only “Fond de Cave”) is acceptable and is duty free (20 bottles)
Recommended: Contact the destination agent to ensure all requirements have been met prior to import, especially for differences regarding air / sea shipments.
Cultural and Other InformationCIA World Factbook
IAM Note: Customs regulations can change at any time with or without notice. This document is provided as a guide and for information only. While IAM has exercised reasonable care in publishing this document, IAM makes no representation, either expressed or implied, as to its accuracy or applicability.