Country Guide: Malawi
Due to the current coronavirus/COVID-19 situation and restrictions in various countries, the below information may not be accurate. This pandemic is a fluid situation. Check with authorities for local laws and restrictions concerning movements.
Find movers in Malawi now!
Used Household Goods and Personal Effects
- Copy of passport
- Packing list
- Original bill of lading (OBL) / no express release / air waybill (AWB)
- Original valued inventory in English, dated, and signed by the owner of the goods
- Invoices for all electrical items less than 6 months old
- Employment contract
- Diplomatic exemption (diplomats)
- The agent must receive documents at least 15 days prior to arrival of the shipment to allow agent time to apply for a duty exemption on the used household goods.
- The owner of the goods must be present during the clearing process.
- New personal effects are subject to 30% to 80% tax on declared value.
- The diplomatic organization will apply for documents on behalf of the owner of the goods with the local Ministry of Foreign Affairs and must have copies of the OBL / AWB and packing list to initiate Customs clearance (diplomats).
- Copy of passport
- Original registration card
- Owner of the goods’ employment contract
- Original purchase invoice
- OBL (no express release) / AWB
- Taxes on vehicles will depend on age, power, etc. of approximately 95% to 150% cost, insurance, and freight (CIF).
- The OBL must show chassis number, engine number, cubic capacity, year of manufacture, brand, and model.
- Veterinary health certificate
- Valid vaccination record
- Current vaccinations and permission from nearest embassy are required for the importation of live animals.
- Alcohol (subject to taxes)
- New electrical, electronic Items and computers are subject to 50% to 150% tax on the declared value
- One used computer is granted duty free
- Firearms and ammunitions (authorization from the territorial administration required)
- Illegal drugs
- Explosive materials
- Counterfeit items
Recommended: Contact the destination agent to ensure all requirements have been met prior to import, especially for differences regarding air / sea shipments.
Cultural and Other InformationCIA World Factbook Entry for Malawi
IAM Note: Customs regulations can change at any time with or without notice. This document is provided as a guide and for information only. While IAM has exercised reasonable care in publishing this document, IAM makes no representation, either expressed or implied, as to its accuracy or applicability.