Country Guide: Mauritania
Due to the current coronavirus/COVID-19 situation and restrictions in various countries, the below information may not be accurate. This pandemic is a fluid situation. Check with authorities for local laws and restrictions concerning movements.
Find movers in Mauritania now!
Used Household Goods and Personal Effects
- Copy of passport
- Packing list
- Original bill of lading (OBL) - or express release / air waybill (AWB)
- Original valued inventory in French, dated, and signed by the owner of the goods
- Invoice for all electrical items less than 6 months old
- Resident permit / letter from employer / diplomatic card
- Non-sale certificate (must state that client will not sell personal effects in Mauritania)
- Used household goods may be imported duty free.
- All containers may be checked by Customs (including diplomatic shipments).
- The OBL must be accurate and declare all import items.
- Original registration card
- Insurance certificate
- Change of residence certificate
- Copy of passport
- Vehicles older than 8 years cannot be imported.
- Import taxes depend on the age of the vehicle as outlined:
- New vehicle: 78% of the car value
- Used vehicle: 50% of the car value
- Duty free for diplomatic vehicles or temporary admission.
- Chassis number, engine number, and weight of the vehicle must be stated on the OBL.
- Documents must be received by agent 1 week prior to importation.
- Rabies vaccination certificate
- Health certificate
- Rabies vaccination certificate and health certificate are required from the country or origin.
- Dogs and cats of less than 3 months old are exempt from sanitary regulation requirements.
- Sporting guns may be temporarily admitted (authorization from the Home Ministry prior to arrival is required in addition to gun and import licenses).
- The following items may be imported duty free with the limits indicated:
- Cigarettes (200), cigars (25), tobacco (1 lb.)
- Perfume (50 grams), eau-de-cologne (1/4 liter)
- Alcoholic beverages
- Pork and pork products
Recommended: Contact agent to ensure all requirements have been met prior to import, especially for differences regarding air / sea shipments.
Cultural and Other InformationCIA World Factbook Entry for Mauritania
IAM Note: Customs regulations can change at any time with or without notice. This document is provided as a guide and for information only. While IAM has exercised reasonable care in publishing this document, IAM makes no representation, either expressed or implied, as to its accuracy or applicability.