Country Guide: Serbia
Due to the current coronavirus/COVID-19 situation and restrictions in various countries, the below information may not be accurate. This pandemic is a fluid situation. Check with authorities for local laws and restrictions concerning movements.
Find movers in Serbia now!
Used Household Goods and Personal Effects
- Copy of passport
- Packing list In English or Serbian
- Detailed inventory (quantity of each item required)
- Original bill of lading (OBL) / air waybill (AWB)
- List of books (name and author)
- List of electrical items (brand, model, and serial number)
- Certificate of import (obtained from a local police station)
- Letter of employment
- Temporary resident visa (must be valid for more than 3 months)
- Copy of personal ID card with the address for delivery (returning citizens)
- Itemized list of books imported (title, author, and total quantity)
- Photos of each painting imported (sent by mail)
- List of paintings imported (name, author and technique used)
- Appraisals for paintings, if applicable (returning citizens)
- Certificate from Serbian embassy from country of origin proving that the owner of the goods worked abroad for more than 2 years, if applicable (returning citizens)
- The certificate of import can only be obtained if the temporary resident visa is valid for more than 3 months.
- Goods are temporarily imported for foreigners based on the business visa; any extension of the temporary import must be made once a new visa is obtained
- If temporary export (out of Serbia) for returning Serbians has been performed, the shipment will be exempt of duties and taxes.
- If the owner of the goods worked abroad for more than 2 years and can provide certificate from the Serbian embassy, the import is tax free up to 5000 Euros of value of the goods (with original passport and entry stamp at time of shipment arrival and must not older than 12 months).
- If the owner of the goods is unable to provide a certificate proving employment abroad for more than 2 years, import will be taxable.
- Taxes and duties are calculated on value of the shipment in addition to the cost of transport.
- Shipment will be unloaded in a Custom’s warehouse for clearance (unless the owner of the goods worked for Serbian Ministry of Foreign Affairs abroad).
- The import procedure can range from 3 working days to several weeks.
- Original title
- OBL / AWB
- Copy of the original purchase invoice
- Copy of all export documentation from the origin country
- Document certifying that the engine of the vehicle is at least “EURO III” (must be issued in Serbia and in Serbian)
- Diplomatic protocol (diplomats) / certificate from the Serbian Business Register Agency attesting that the owner of the goods is not the owner, founder, or legal representative of the company in Serbia
- Only diplomats can import vehicles that are not “EURO III” for temporary or permanent import.
- The type, model, chassis serial number, engine number, engine volume (ccm), engine power (KW), and vehicles details must be included on the original OBL.
- Vaccination record
- Veterinary health certificate
- Quarantine may be required when the stay of the pet is longer than 30 days.
- Certification may be required; contact the nearest embassy or consulate in Serbia for additional information.
- The following items may qualify for free import if within the indicated limits:
- Alcohol (1 L)
- Cigarettes (200) / reasonable amount of tobacco for personal consumption only
- Cultural artifacts (permit from the Serbian Ministry of Foreign Economic Relations is required.)
- Medications (a prescription or letter from a doctor is required)
- Firearms and ammunitions
- Unlawful drugs
- Toxic materials
- Consumable products (e.g., food, alcohol, tobacco, etc.)
Recommended: Contact the destination agent to ensure all requirements have been met prior to import, especially for differences regarding air / sea shipments.
Cultural and Other InformationCIA World Factbook Entry for Serbia
IAM Note: Customs regulations can change at any time with or without notice. This document is provided as a guide and for information only. While IAM has exercised reasonable care in publishing this document, IAM makes no representation, either expressed or implied, as to its accuracy or applicability.