Country Guide: Zimbabwe
Due to the current coronavirus/COVID-19 situation and restrictions in various countries, the below information may not be accurate. This pandemic is a fluid situation. Check with authorities for local laws and restrictions concerning movements.
Updated: November 18, 2016
Find movers in Zimbabwe now!
Find a foreign embassy in Zimbabwe
Find Zimbabwe's embassies in other countries
Used Household Goods and Personal Effects
- Original passport
- Original bill of lading (OBL) / express release / air waybill (AWB)
- Original inventory of all items (with serial numbers of electrical appliance to be written on)
- Original packing list with values in USD and English
- Freight invoice - for customs clearance purposes
- Resident / work permit / letter of employment
- Resident stamp / work permit / letter of employment / termination letter must explain details of new contract in Zimbabwe.
- Returning citizens must have payslips for the past 2 years and a bank statement for last 6 months, along with an exit stamp of when the owner of the goods left (required for interview with customs) (returning resident).
- Letter of appointment from organization in Zimbabwe (client is on work permit).
- Those working on a work permit must have letter of appointment from organization.
- Diplomats must have report order letter from the Embassy in Zimbabwe and a diplomatic ID card.
- Goods should be only household goods and personal effects in order to be duty free.
- Owners of the goods must be present during Customs clearance.
- Customs will inspect all shipments.
- Diplomats are exempt from duties.
- Diplomats and returning citizens who live 2 or more years abroad are exempt from duties.
- A duty exemption letter from the Ministry of Foreign Affairs must be obtained for diplomatic shipments.
- Original registration card
- Certificate of ownership
- Change of residence certificate
- Copy of purchase invoice
- Taxes on vehicle will depend on age, power, etc. (100% to 110% CIF).
- The OBL must show the chassis number, engine number, cubic capacity, year of manufacture, brand, and model.
- Certificate of vaccination
- Zimbabwe veterinary health certificate
- Import license (from the Director of Veterinary Services)
- Permission from the Director of Veterinary Services is required prior to import.
- Plants and seeds and animals (agricultural certificate and phytosanitary certificate are required from the Embassy)
- Firearms and ammunitions (authorization from the territorial administration is required)
- Wine and spirits (2 L)
- Cigarettes (200)
- Explosive materials
- Foreign soil
- Pornography, defamatory or obscene publications
- Cultural artifacts and other objects of cultural importance
- Palm tree and any products thereof
Recommended: Contact the destination agent to ensure all requirements have been met prior to import, especially for differences regarding air / sea shipments.
Cultural and Other InformationCIA World Factbook
IAM Note: Customs regulations can change at any time with or without notice. This document is provided as a guide and for information only. While IAM has exercised reasonable care in publishing this document, IAM makes no representation, either expressed or implied, as to its accuracy or applicability.