Country Guide: Cayman Islands
Due to the current coronavirus/COVID-19 situation and restrictions in various countries, the below information may not be accurate. This pandemic is a fluid situation. Check with authorities for local laws and restrictions concerning movements.
Find movers in Cayman Islands now!
Used Household Goods and Personal Effects
- Detailed inventory
- Invoices (new goods)
- Customs import entry form, if applicable
- Appointment of agent form, if applicable
- Customs import / export declaration
- Declaration of unaccompanied personal effects, if applicable
- Original bill of lading (OBL) / express release / air waybill (AWB)
- When establishing residence in the Cayman Islands, household goods and personal effects moved within the first 6 months of residence are exempt from duties if the following conditions apply:
- Imported items are used personal belongings older than 6 months including computers and furniture (proof of date of purchase may be required).
- Vehicles, alcohol, and tobacco are not included in the duty exemption.
- Vehicle title / registration
- OBL / AWB
- Duties are approximately 27.5% of the cost, insurance, and freight (CIF) value.
- Vaccination record
- Veterinary health certificate
- Official health certificate for animal, bird, or fish / phytosanitary certificate for plant or plant product
- CITES certificate, if applicable
- Import permit obtained from the Cayman Islands Department of Agriculture
- The import permit must be obtained prior to the import of any live animal, bird, fish, plant, or plant product.
- Imported species are required to undergo inspection and must be accompanied by an original copy of an inspection certificate.
- The inspection certificate must be issued by the Agricultural Authority at origin.
- Dogs and cats must be at least 10 months old for import.
- An import permit application must be completed and submitted with an official health certificate and rabies report plus required fees.
- Dogs and cats must be permanently identified with a microchip transponder or tattoo; contact destination agent for specific requirements.
- Pets must be vaccinated against rabies by a licensed veterinarian using an approved inactivated vaccine.
- A blood test must be taken within 30 days after the vaccination to check for protective antibodies against rabies; approved laboratories must be used.
- Pets are eligible for entry 6 months after the date of the blood test showing a successful result.
- Rabies vaccinations older than 12 months or blood test results older than 2 years prior to import will be accepted.
- Contact veterinary services, Department of Agriculture, Grand Cayman Islands for more information.
- Firearms, ammunition, bullet proof vests and gun powder (an import permit and license signed by the Commissioner of Police is required)
- Controlled or illegal drugs or paraphernalia
- Obscene publication and articles
- Items depicting any reference to marijuana
- Counterfeit coins and notes
- Items for gambling
- Turtles and products related thereof
- Spear guns and Hawaiian slings and parts
Recommended: Contact the destination agent to ensure all requirements have been met prior to import, especially for differences regarding air / sea shipments.
Cultural and Other InformationCIA World Factbook Entry for Cayman Islands
IAM Note: Customs regulations can change at any time with or without notice. This document is provided as a guide and for information only. While IAM has exercised reasonable care in publishing this document, IAM makes no representation, either expressed or implied, as to its accuracy or applicability.