Country Guide: Albania
Due to the current coronavirus/COVID-19 situation and restrictions in various countries, the below information may not be accurate. This pandemic is a fluid situation. Check with authorities for local laws and restrictions concerning movements.
Find movers in Albania now!
Used Household Goods and Personal Effects
- Copy of passport
- Detailed inventory list in Albanian, valued, dated, and signed by the owner of the goods
- Work certificate from owner of the goods’ employer
- Copy of the owner of the goods’ employer identification number of taxable person (NIPT)
- Work permit
- Residence permit
- Authorization provided by the owner of the goods from the General Directory of Customs (non-diplomats)
- Original bill of lading (OBL) / air waybill (AWB)
- Copy of diplomatic passport (diplomats)
- Copy of diplomatic ID (diplomats)
- Items on the detailed inventory should be listed per categories such furniture, clothes, books, etc.
- For electrical appliances, include make, model, and serial number.
- Authorization from the General Directory of Customs applies to non-diplomats who apply for duty free Customs of personal effects.
- Documents must be received by agent prior to import.
- Original vehicle documents (title, invoices, registration, etc.)
- Copy of driver’s license
- Vehicle must meet the European technical standard requirements
- Rabies vaccination certificate
- Veterinary health certificate (from origin country)
- Pet passport
- Vaccination history
- Copy of owner of the goods’ passport
- Microchip / tattoo number
- Letter of employment by Albanian employing company
- The import of animals into Albania requires permission from the Albanian authorities
- Contact destination agent for additional information.
- Import of pets is permitted into Albania and there are no restrictions on what types of pets can be brought into the country.
- All pets must be check at the airport upon arrival by the Customs veterinarian.
- Duty / fee of the health check is roughly 50 EUR per pet.
- It takes approximately 24 hours to clear a pet arriving in Albania.
Antiques, Artifacts, Carpets, Paintings
- The importation of such items into Albania does not require registration upon arrival.
- It is however recommended to bring certificates of origin for items.
- When exporting artwork and antiques from Albania the original paperwork showing that antiques were originally brought into the country is needed to facilitate the process.
- Guns ammunition and explosives (police permit is required)
- The following household goods may be imported duty free by persons 18 years or older within the limits indicated:
- Cigarettes (200), cigarillos (100), cigars (50), tobacco (250 g)
- Alcohol (12 bottles)
- Perfume (50 g)
- For amounts exceeding the permitted limit duties and taxes are to be paid, amount is always determined by Customs authorities after checking the shipment.
- Illegal drugs
- Radioactive items
- Weapons, explosives and ammunition
- Meat products
- Knives and deadly weapons
- Plant and plant material
- Animals (permission from Albanian authorities required)
- Counterfeit money and products
- Pornographic material
- Subversive materials
- Toxic material
Recommended: Contact the destination agent to ensure all requirements have been met prior to import, especially for differences regarding air / sea shipments.
Cultural and Other InformationCIA World Factbook
IAM Note: Customs regulations can change at any time with or without notice. This document is provided as a guide and for information only. While IAM has exercised reasonable care in publishing this document, IAM makes no representation, either expressed or implied, as to its accuracy or applicability.