Country Guide: Austria

Due to the current coronavirus/COVID-19 situation and restrictions in various countries, the below information may not be accurate. This pandemic is a fluid situation. Check with authorities for local laws and restrictions concerning movements.

Print Friendly and PDF
Updated: June 09, 2018

Find movers in Austria now!

Find a foreign embassy in Austria

Find Austria's embassies in other countries

Used Household Goods and Personal Effects

Documents Required

  • Passport
  • Bill of lading (OBL) / air waybill (AWB)
  • Detailed inventory (3 copies)
  • Residence registration form (primary residence)
  • Original Austrian Customs forms (ZBefr2a)
  • Original power of attorney
  • Duty-free permit, if applicable
  • Invoices for all new furniture, appliances, gifts, and objects of art / antiques (2 copies)
  • Exit certificate / certificate of stay abroad for at least 12 months (confirmation from the local authority of the previous residence, confirmation by employer or other official proof)
  • ZBefr2a form for returning Austrains, EU citizens, and immigrants who have lived in the EU.
  • ZBefr2 form for someone who has never lived in the EU before.
  • Zbefr1 form for diplomats


Specific Information

  • Owners of the goods who have lived in the European Union prior to import may need a permit for the duty-free importation of household goods and personal effects ("Grundlagenbescheid") available at the Customs office nearest to the residence.
  • Only used goods personally owned and used for at least 6 months by the owner of the goods and are intended for use in the country may be imported.
  • Removal goods can be imported into Austria duty free within 12 months from the change of residence.
  • After Customs clearance, the removal goods are prohibited for 12 months from sale or transfer unless Customs duties are paid.
  • Contact destination agent to confirm necessity of a duty-free permit.

Motor Vehicles

Documents Required

  • Vehicle title / registration
  • Vehicle papers (type certificate)
  • Invoice / purchase order
  • Form T1, if applicable


Specific Information

  • For the import of a motor vehicle all owners of the goods need Grundlagenbescheid.
  • The shipment is free of duties only in connection with a move.
  • Vehicles must be in use and possession of the owner of the goods for at least 6 months in the origin country.
  • A tax called “Normverbrauchsabgabe” (NOVA) or a standard consumption tax (between 8 and 14% of the actual value) must be paid at the time of registration.
    • NOVA is calculated on the average gas consumption of the individual model.
  • The owner of car must have lived outside the EC for at least 12 months.
  • The vehicle must be cleared separate from the household goods and personal effects.
  • After Customs clearance, motor vehicles including automobiles, motorcycles, motor scooters, and mopeds cannot be sold or transferred unless Customs duties and VAT are paid.
  • A separate Customs clearance at a qualified Customs office is required (not every Customs office is authorized for Customs clearance).
  • If the owner of the goods is arriving to Austria via personal vehicle, an application should be made to the Austrian Frontier Customs Office for a Form T1.


Documents Required

  • Certificate of vaccination
  • Veterinary health certificate


Specific Information

  • Pets may be imported free of duties.
  • Cats and dogs may be imported without prior authorization; contact agent for information on the import of other animals.

Restricted/Dutiable Items

  • Firearms (an official permit is required)
  • Pump guns
  • Spirits, cigarettes, tobacco, perfumes for personal consumption (an import permit is required).
  • Antiques, if over 100 years of age are duty free but subject to value added tax (VAT) in addition to Customs duties and taxes (a certificate of appraisal from an Austrian expert is generally required
  • New furniture, appliances, gifts, souvenirs, and objects of art / antiques are subject to duties and taxes (a certificate of circulation of goods and import permit are required, where applicable).
  • Plants and plant products (a plant protection certificate is required)

Prohibited Items

  • Drugs

Consignment Instructions

Recommended:  Contact the destination agent to ensure all requirements have been met prior to import, especially for differences regarding air / sea shipments.


Cultural and Other Information

CIA World Factbook

Wikipedia Entry for Austria

IAM Note: Customs regulations can change at any time with or without notice. This document is provided as a guide and for information only. While IAM has exercised reasonable care in publishing this document, IAM makes no representation, either expressed or implied, as to its accuracy or applicability.