IAM Membership: Moving Forward, Together
The International Association of Movers represents more than 2,000 companies in over 170 countries. More than movers, these companies are partners and innovators in the delivery of moving, forwarding, shipping, logistics and related services. IAM affiliation increasingly signifies strength, trust, diversity, ethics, reliability and accountability.
Maersk Line introduces new cyber security measures following Petya attack
Maersk has introduced new undisclosed security measures it said in an update to customers on Thursday. “In response to this new type of malware, we have put in place different and further protective measures. Due to confidentiality we cannot share details on these measures at this stage,” Maersk said. Addressing concerns over customer data integrity it said that no data breach or data loss to third-parties had been identified to date.
Norway Takes Lead in Race to Build Autonomous Cargo Ships
Two Norwegian companies are taking the lead in the race to build the world’s first crewless, autonomously operated ship, an advance that could mark a turning point in seaborne trade. The Yara Birkeland, now under development, is scheduled in late 2018 to start sailing fertilizer 37 miles down a fiord from a production facility to the port of Larvik. Using GPS, radar, cameras and sensors, the electric ship is designed to navigate itself around other boat traffic and to dock on its own.
What are the Largest Barriers to Supply Chain Improvement?
The lack of forecast accuracy tops the list, cited as one of the top three barriers by 37% of respondents - even though there is not much anyone can seem to do about forecast accuracy. That was followed by lack of supply chain visibility, and then a lack of cross functional collaboration.
World Container Index takes a dip
The Drewry World Container Index is down by 6.3% to $1421.4/40 ft container this week, but up by 15% from the same period of 2016. The average composite index of the WCI, assessed by Drewry for year-to-date, is $1,546/40ft container, which is $120 lower than the five-year average of $1,666/40ft container.
Double-digit revenue growth at United Cargo confirms strong market
Surging volumes at United Cargo pushed cargo revenues up 22.1 percent, year-over-year, to US$254 million in the second quarter of 2017, pushing the year-to-date growth rate and revenue numbers up to 17.9 percent, y-o-y, and $474 million, respectively.
The Portal's Jul/Aug Issue: A SALUTE TO CANADA
- HEADLINES / Terry R. Head
- From Sea to Sea
- PORTAL FOCUS: A SALUTE TO CANADA
- O, Canada: A Vast and Diverse Landscape for Movers / Joyce Dexter
- Contributors featured: Tippet Richardson • AMJ Campbell International • MoverOne International • King’s Global Forwarding Limited • Orbit International Moving Logistics Ltd. • World Wide Overseas Moving Service Inc. • Quality Move Management • Matco Moving Solutions • T-R Westcan, Inc. • Armstrong International Movers • Voxme Software • Moveware
- CAM: Strengthening Industry Standards and Professional Bonds in Canada / Will Kohudic
- IAM Young Professionals (IAM-YP)
- Young Movers Conference Recap / Margaret Kerr
- Organizing the YMC: Challenging, Fun ... and “a Little Bit Crazy” / Agnija Usane
- The Story of Ravello: One Lucky Dog / Francesco Argirò
- Toronto: Full of Surprises, a City for All Seasons / Ramiro Quiros
- Military/Government Update
- Open Season Follow-up / Charles L. White
- IAM Looking Back
- Oki-Trial Proposal, 1974 / Rick Curry
- Executive Suite
- The Portal Special Report: Member Needs Survey Highlights IAM Strengths, Opportunities / William Kohudic
- Maritime/Ocean Shipping
- Movers Doing Good
- Washington Update / Jim Wise and Bryan Vickers, PACE, LLC