IAM Membership: Moving Forward, Together
The International Association of Movers represents more than 2,000 companies in over 170 countries. More than movers, these companies are partners and innovators in the delivery of moving, forwarding, shipping, logistics and related services. IAM affiliation increasingly signifies strength, trust, diversity, ethics, reliability and accountability.
Ban on cargo flying direct between UK and Bangladesh could be lifted
The ban on direct cargo flights between Bangladesh’s Dhaka’s Hazrat Shahjalal Airport and the UK could be lifted, according to local media, in what would be a boost to garment exporters. The airport has been under much security scrutiny, and had employed a UK company to advise on improvements. Currently, cargo must be screened in a third country before arriving in the UK. Similar bans are in place for cargo going to Australia and Germany.
The box carriers: Consolidate or compete?
While there were 20 global container lines in 2011 operating in a fragmented industry, the recent Cosco’s takeover of OOCL created a new reality in today’s container shipping, where the top four carriers control 53.8% of the world’s container cargo, according to shipping market analyst Xeneta.
Coast Guard Closes Ports in Puerto Rico, U.S. Virgin Islands Ahead of Cat 5 Hurricane Maria
The United States Coast Guard has closed all ports in Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands due to Hurricane Maria. Effective 8 a.m. Tuesday, the Coast Guard set port condition ZULU for Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands because of the possibility of sustained gale force winds greater than 39 mph that may arrive within 24 hours. While port condition ZULU is in place, no vessels may enter or transit within these ports without permission of the COTP. Under the condition, all vessel movements are prohibited, and all ship-to-shore operations must cease until further notice.
Port Klang gets more tranquil, but it’s eerie
Until a few months ago, Port Klang was a hive of activities, with containers usually stacked six stories high. These days, it’s a lot quieter. Major shipping firms have moved their hubs to Singapore, according to recent reports. “A few years ago, we could still compete with Singapore,” said an industry player who owns a logistics company. “We managed to draw big carriers to Port Klang. I don’t think we can catch up with Singapore now.”
Strengthening Hurricane Maria to Pass Right Over Puerto Rico, Forecasters Say
A rapidly strengthening Hurricane Maria barreled towards the eastern Caribbean islands with 125 mile-per-hour (200 kph) winds on Monday, threatening the region with its second major storm this month. Officials from French-controlled Martinique to the U.S. Virgin Islands warned residents to prepare for the storm, now ranked by U.S. forecasters as a major hurricane, at Category 3 on the five-step Saffir-Simpson scale.
The Portal's Sep/Oct Issue: IAM 55TH ANNUAL MEETING
- HEADLINES / Terry R. Head
- We Are One!
- Portal Focus: IAM 55TH ANNUAL MEETING
- Meet the Candidates • 2017 Hall of Honor Inductees • Knowledge Lab Schedule • Things to See and Do in Long Beach • Help IAM Set a World Record! • Thank-You to Our Sponsors
- IAM Young Professionals (IAM-YP)
- Annual Meeting Schedule, Long Beach, California
- Happy Planet Special Edition: Germany
Berlin (Jessica Deutschmann) • Bremen (Sonja Riegert and Philipp Lange) • Stuttgart (Sara Krenske) • Cologne (Köln) (Thorsten Koch) • Mountainbikepark Pfälzerwald (Sascha Graf)
- Military/Government Update
- IAM Annual Meeting U.S. Goverment Program Is Shaping Up / Charles L. White
- IAM Governing Member Profile: Goldenway International Pets & Live Animals
- IAM Looking Back
- Building Blocks of the HHGFAA/IAM Organization / Rick Curry
- PORTAL FOCUS: HOW DO YOU GREEN?
- The Industry’s Many Shades of Green / Joyce Dexter
Appenzeller-Transpack GmbH • Express Transports, S.A. • Boonma • Transclal Fine Arts Ltd. • Mudanzas Clara del Rey • The Swiss Moving Company • NEDRAC, Inc. • Paxton International • Rosebrock • Packways India • Moveware
- Packways India: Where Green Is an Organizational Value / Nikhil Ohri
- Executive Suite
- The Portal Special Report: The Annual Meeting / William Kohudic
- The Future of International Removals: Feedback from Experts / Daniele Piani
- Movers Doing Good
- Washington Update / Jim Wise and Bryan Vickers, PACE, LLC