Country Guide: Kazakhstan
Find movers in Kazakhstan now!
Used Household Goods and Personal Effects
- Copy of passport
- Detailed inventory, including number of items in each carton and gross weight of each box
- Original bill of lading (OBL) / air waybill (AWB)
- Letter of employment on employer letterhead (shipments above 200 kgs) for for foreign citizens
- Copy of Kazakh visa (non - citizens)
- EC-POA on employer letterhead or notarized (non - citizens)
- Brokerage agreement (non - citizens and returning citizens)
- Notarized copy of ID (returning citizens)
- Customs may inspect any non-diplomatic shipments upon arrival.
- Do not send insurance or any other documents showing the true value of household goods and personal effects with the shipment to avoid the payment of heavy import duties.
- All in-bound non-diplomatic shipments are subject to the payment of customs duties and taxes calculated based on the cost, insurance, and freight value of the shipment.
- Only shipments between Russia, Belorussia, Kyrgyzstan, Armenia, and Kazakhstan are duty free.
- All in-bound shipments are subject to issuance of a declaration per shipment; the cost of the Customs declaration(s) will be determined during the Customs clearance process.
- Customs clearance takes between 5 - 7 working days after permission from the National Security Committee (for electronic appliances if any in the shipment) is received.
- Copy of technical passport / certificate of title
- Pro-forma invoice with vehicle details
- Original bill of lading / air waybill
- Original Customs declaration
- Commitment letter (for temporary importation up to 12 months)
- POA on employer letterhead or notarized (non - citizens)
- Notarized POA (returning citizens)
- Vehicles must conform to EU 5 standards.
- Right-hand vehicles cannot be imported.
- Pro-forma invoice must include chassis, engine number, production year, model, color, and reasonable Customs value.
- Vehicles are Customs cleared separately from the household goods and personal effects shipment.
- Diplomatic vehicles must be registered with the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Kazakhstan.
- Vehicles are charged customs duties, value added tax (VAT), fees, and some vehicles may be charged an excise tax.
- Some vehicles may be imported on a temporary import basis subject to customs fees of approximately 0.2% of the cost, insurance, and freight value (CIF); check with agent for specific information.
- International Pet passport
- Copy of owner of the goods’ passport
- Copy of owner of the goods’ visa
- Certificate of vaccination
- Rabies vaccine must given 30 days prior to pet's arrival
- Veterinary health certificate
- Pro-forma invoice with Customs value
- Cats, dogs, and birds must be accompanied by a veterinary health certificate.
- The veterinary health certificate must be issued by the local Board of Health within 10 days of arrival.
- If more than 2 pets of the same species are being imported under one owner name, an import permit must be obtained via KIazakhstani local veterinary authority center. This will take approximately 7 working days.
- Helath certificate must state all transit city names
- If the owner travelling to Kazakhstan will stay in a transit Kazakhstan city for more than 1 day, they should visit local veterinary authority center to obtain permission to travel further to final destination by air.
- The following items may qualify for free import within the limits indicated:
- Perfume (a reasonable quantity)
- Live animals (a special permit is required)
- Stuffed animals and birds
- Religious information or items
- New items
- Food items (dry, canned, spices, etc.)
- Beverages including spirits / alcohol drinks
- Medicines including medical kits
- All medical appliances (thermometer, pulsometer, inhaler, or any massagers)
- New liquids (gel, shampoo, etc.)
- Weapons of any kind
- Narcotics / drugs
- Toxic and radioactive materials
- Jewelry, precious stones, other high value items, sets, and collections
- Rare animals and birds species, skins, horns
- Books published earlier than 1961
- Satellite antenna
- Any equipment containing Freon
Recommended: Contact the destination agent to ensure all requirements have been met prior to import, especially for differences regarding air / sea / surface shipments.
Cultural and Other InformationCIA World Factbook Entry for Kazakhstan
IAM Note: Customs regulations can change at any time with or without notice. This document is provided as a guide and for information only. While IAM has exercised reasonable care in publishing this document, IAM makes no representation, either expressed or implied, as to its accuracy or applicability.