Country Guide: Gambia
Household Goods and Personal Effects
- Copy of passport
- Packing list
- Original bill of lading (OBL) / air waybill (AWB)
- Original detailed inventory in English
- Invoices for new electrical and hi-fi appliances, if applicable
- Residence permit / work permit / letter of employment
- Non-sale certificate (must state that the client will not sell personal items)
- Original detailed inventory in English, dated, valued, and signed by the owner of the goods; for any new items bought less than 6 months before import with the original invoices
- Used household goods are tax free with the exception of all electrical and hi-fi appliances.
- Most removal shipments are opened and checked by Customs.
- The duties to be paid for any shipment are generally 1.5% of the cost, insurance, and freight (CIF) value for processing fee + 0.55% ECOWAS tax.
- For diplomatic shipments, the agent must receive required Customs documents prior to the shipment arrival in order to obtain and free entry (applies to household goods and vehicles).
Note: ECOWAS is an acronym denoting the Heads of State and Government of the Member States of the Economic Community of West African States.
- Copy of passport
- Original registration card
- Original invoice / letter of sale (used cars)
- Original bill of lading / air waybill
- Residence / work permit / letter of employment
- Non-sale certificate
- 35% Revenue tax based on the CIF value
- 18% Duty based on the CIF value
- 10% Sales tax (duty and CIF value)
- 1.5% CIF processing fee
- 0.05% ECOWAS
- Veterinary health certificate (authorization by the origin country is required)
- Registration by the Gambian Veterinary Department upon entry into the country is required.
- Firearms, explosives and ammunitions (authorization by the Inspector General of Police required)
- Some vegetables, including potatoes, fruit, bulbs, and seeds (authorization required)
- The following items may be imported duty free within the limits indicated:
- Cigarettes (200), cigars (50), tobacco (500g)
- Wine (1 liter), beer (1 liter), up to D1000.00 in other goods; contact agent for details
- Unlawful drugs
- Knives and deadly weapons
- Counterfeit money and goods
- Illegal drugs
- Pornographic material
- Radio-communication equipment not approved for use at destination
- Meat, poultry, and many other animal products
- Plants, parts thereof, and plant produce including trees and shrubs
Recommended: Contact the destination agent to ensure all requirements have been met prior to import, especially for differences regarding air / sea shipments.