Country Guide: Cyprus

Print Friendly and PDF
Updated: August 11, 2016

Find movers in Cyprus now!

Used Household Goods and Personal Effects

Documents Required

  • Original passport
  • Original T2L (page 4) signed by customs at origin (shipments from European Union (EU) countries, including diplomats)
  • Packing list
  • Original bill of lading (OBL) / express waybill / air waybill (AWB) (must show C status for EU countries)
  • Sale agreement / termination of rental agreement in origin country (non-EU countries)
  • Utility bills (non-EU countries)
  • Exemption form from the local Embassy (diplomats from non-EU countries)
  • Form 1002 signed and stamped by the local Embassy
  • Letter of employment (non-EU countries) (diplomats from non-EU countries)
  • Registration of your children at local schools (non-EU countries)
  • Bank statement confirming you have an funds in Cyprus (non-EU countries)
  • Copy of ticket / boarding pass of flight to Cyprus (non-EU countries)


Specific Information

  • All shipments arriving from non-EU member countries are inspected.
    • Less-than-container load (LCL) shipments and air shipments are inspected at the port/airport.
    • Full container load (FCL) shipments are inspected at the residence by Customs officers.
  • New items arriving from non-EU member countries are dutiable.
    • All items owned and used for less than 6 months are considered new.
    • This period excludes the shipping time to Cyprus.
    • Customers must declare new items to Customs; otherwise, penalties, duties and taxes will be charged.
  • The pre-alert must be sent at least 48 hours before the arrival of shipment at Larnaca (air shipments from EU member countries).
  • A wharfage charge is a Port Authority charge based on the weight of the shipment on all import and export shipments and is even charged on diplomatic shipments.
  • Wharfage charges are approximately EUR 110-150 for a 20’ container and approximately EUR 130-200 for a 40’ container with household goods and personal effects.
    • For LCL shipments it can vary from EUR 50-100.
  • All customers pay a wharfage charge regardless of their status.
  • All solid wood packing materials used as overcasing, bracing or blocking must conform to EU Commission Directive 2004/102/EC (ISPM15) and be appropriately and clearly marked with IPPC symbol, registration and treatment codes.
  • Returning students bringing used household goods and personal effects from non-EU member countries must pay duties and VAT ranging from approximately 18-33% on the current value declared to Customs.
    • Duties depend on the items being imported.

Motor Vehicles

Documents Required

  • Copy of passport
  • OBL / express waybill / C status AWB (C Status for air shipments from EU countries)
  • Packing list
  • Exemption certificate from the local Embassy (Diplomats)
  • Form 1002 stamped and signed by the local Embassy (Diplomats)
  • Original registration (client must attend LIMASSOL Customs if shipping a car, bike, or boat) (Diplomats)
  • Sale agreement / termination of rental agreement in origin country (non-EU countries)
  • Letter of employment
  • Registration of your children at local schools
  • Bank statement confirming the owner of the goods has an account in Cyprus
  • Proof of insurance for the 6 months prior to entry 


Specific Information

  • An owner of the goods from a non-EU country can import one car duty free under the following conditions:
    • It is already registered in his/her name and used for more than 6 months.
    • The mileage is more than 6,000 kms.
    • The owner of the goods lived abroad for a continuous period of 12 months prior to transfer of normal residence.
    • The car must be imported within 6 months from owner of the goods' transfer of primary residence to Cyprus.
    • The owner of the goods must prove relocation to Cyprus permanently.
    • The owner of the goods must pay value added tax (VAT), which is approximately 18% on the current value assessed by the Customs.
  • Upon arrival, the owner of the goods must apply to the Immigration office for permanent residency.
  • The car will first be released to the owner of the goods as a “visitor” and will receive a temporary importation license (Form C104); extensions may be granted if application is made prior to the expiration date.
  • For an owner of the goods from an EU country, VAT and excise duties are not payable provided the owner of the goods meets the criteria required for the import of a motor vehicle from a non-EU country.
    • If the owner of the goods does not meet the criteria, the payment of excise duties is required.
    • VAT will only be waived if the car is more than 6 months old and the mileage is more than 6000 kms.
  • Documents should not be left inside the car (motor bikes).
  • An owner of the goods from an EU country can import:
    • If less than 599 cc, then no duties or taxes are paid provided age of motor bike is more than 6 months and the mileage is more than 6000 kms (non-EU origin).
    • If over 599 cc, the same rules and regulations for motor vehicles apply (non-EU origin).
  • An owner of the goods can only import motor vehicles / bikes free of duties and taxes if registered in their own name.
  • An owner of the goods from a non-EU country can import a motor bike if less than 599 cc duty free:
    • However, if the owner does not meet all of the criteria (see regulations for motor vehicles, then the duties of approximately 6-8% plus VAT (approximately 15%) must be paid on the total amount (duty and VAT).
    • If the motor bike is more than 499 cc, then the regulations for other motor vehicles apply.


Documents Required

  • Vaccination record
  • Veterinary health certificate


Specific Information

  • Pets must be identifiable through tattoo or an electronic identification system.

Restricted/Dutiable Items

  • Leather and fur coats/shoes (authorization is required)
  • Medication (for personal use only)
  • Alcoholic beverages may be included in FCL containers as follows:
    • Up to 12 sealed bottles are acceptable
    • Up to 20 open bottles are acceptable

Prohibited Items

  • Drugs and narcotics
  • Pornographic materials

Consignment Instructions

Recommended: Contact the destination agent to ensure all requirements have been met prior to import, especially for differences regarding air / sea shipments.


Helpful Website(s):


IAM Note: Customs regulations can change at any time with or without notice. This document is provided as a guide and for information only. While IAM has exercised reasonable care in publishing this document, IAM makes no representation, either expressed or implied, as to its accuracy or applicability.