Country Guide: Mali
Household Goods and Personal Effects
- Copy of Passport showing Entry Permit
- Packing list in French or English
- Original Bill of Lading (OBL) / Express Release Accepted / Air Waybill (AWB)
- Original detailed inventory in French dated, valued and signed by the shipper
- Residence Permit / Work Permit
- Letter of Employment
- Certificate of Change of Residence from the City Hall (or Embassy), which certifies that shipper is a current resident and is departing the country
- Diplomatic Franchise (Diplomats)
- All containers arriving at TOE Bamako are scanned.
- Documents must be received by agent at least 15 days before the arrival of the shipment to minimize any port charges.
- It takes approximately 20–40 days to obtain the free-entry certificate.
- Express Releases are acceptable but result in additional fees of EUR 100.00.
- A Certificate for Free Entry must be obtained from the Customs head office; shipments are then duty free.
- The tax on new household items for all shipments is 45% on the declared value (excludes Diplomats)
- The “Redevance Statistique” is 2.5% of the valued inventory for non-Malian citizens and 3.5% for returning citizens (excludes Diplomats).
- The Fonds de Garantie Routier is 1% tax of the valued inventory for all shipments transported by road from Abidjan, Ivory Coast to Bamako, Mali.
- The Diplomatic Mission will apply for a Diplomatic Exemption document to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs on behalf of shipper; it takes approximately15 days to obtain the exemption, to begin clearance (Diplomats).
- Documents must be received by agent at least 15 days prior to arrival of the shipment in free entry status from the Ministry of Foreign Affairs (Diplomats).
- Original Registration Card
- Original Bill of Lading (OBL) / Air Waybill (AWB)
- Non-sale Certificate
- Purchase Invoice / Certificate of Value
- The duty rates on motor vehicles is as follows:
- If the motor vehicle is new, tax is 44% of the Argus value + EUR 40.00 / year
- If the motor is 10 years or older, tax is 44% of the Argus value + 10 x 40 = EUR 400.00)
- Diplomats are exempt from tax on motor vehicles.
- Vaccination Record
- Veterinary Health Certificate / Sanitary Certificate
- The Veterinary Health Certificate / Sanitary Certificate must be issued from the country of origin within 3 days of import; it must specify that the animal has been free from any infectious disease or rabies for at least 6 weeks prior to import.
- Firearms and ammunition (authorization from the territorial administration is required)
- New computers (tax is 65%) - excludes Diplomats, embassies and persons with authorization from the Malian Customs head office.
- New electrical items
- Prescription medications (health certificate required)
- Weapons (certificate is required)
- Books, films and pictures (subject to censorship and confiscation if contrary to local customs)
Recommended: Contact the destination agent to ensure all requirements have been met prior to import, especially for differences regarding air / sea shipments.