Country Guide: Nepal
Household Goods and Personal Effects
- Original Bill of Lading (OBL) / Air Waybill (AWB)
- Packing list
- Investment License
- Business License
- Letter of Employment (foreign Diplomat, workers for registered aid organizations)
- The shipper’s presence is not required for Customs clearance.
- A copy of the shipper’s Passport and required documents must be forwarded to the agent prior to shipment arrival.
- A foreigner may import used household goods and personal effects into Nepal duty free if having diplomatic status or working for a registered aid organization.
- The shipper’s employer must provide the agent with an official letter verifying employment and authorizing the agent to handle the shipment on their behalf (foreign Diplomats, workers for registered aid organizations).
- If the required criteria are met, only one sea and one air shipment are permitted duty free.
- Returning citizens can import used household goods subject to duty and tax.
- OBL / AWB
- Packing list
- Foreign diplomats may import vehicles duty free.
- Duties may be assessed and are based on the type, age and engine size of the vehicle (non-Diplomats, returning citizens).
- Vaccination Record
- Veterinary Health Certificate (not more than 7 days old)
- Most pets, including dogs, cats, and birds, can be brought into Nepal with no quarantine period.
- Documents must be available at the time of import.
- The following items may qualify for duty-free import within the limits indicated:
- Tobacco 250 g (approximately 250 cigarettes)
- Whiskey and wine / beer 1.15 liters / 12 can
- Firearms and ammunition
- Pornographic materials
Recommended: Contact the destination agent to ensure all requirements have been met prior to import, especially for differences regarding air / sea shipments.
IAM Note: Customs regulations can change at any time with or without notice. This document is provided as a guide and for information only. While IAM has exercised reasonable care in publishing this document, IAM makes no representation, either expressed or implied, as to its accuracy or applicability.