Country Guide: Papua New Guinea
Household Goods and Personal Effects
- Original Bill of Lading (OBL) / Air Waybill (AWB)
- Work Permit / Residence Permit
- Duty-Free Certificate (Diplomats)
- Immigration Arrival Card (completed upon arrival)
- Expatriates must be working for a registered company and hold a valid Work Permit / Residence Permit.
- One air and one sea shipment only can be imported duty free but duty will be levied on new items or items deemed in excessive quantities for personal needs.
- Shipments should arrive within 3 months of the date of issue of the Work Permit / Residence Permit.
- The shipper must be present to sign a Statutory Declaration in front of a Commissioner of Oaths in Papua New Guinea.
- Any new items must be declared and will be dutiable.
- All shipments are inspected by both Customs and the Quarantine Department and are subject to demurrage.
- Shipments may be subject to be off-loaded into a bonded warehouse in the port area.
- Shipments can only be released after both Customs and Quarantine have approved its release.
- All criteria the entire shipment will be subject to import duty at varying rates.
- Diplomats are required to obtain a Duty-Free Certificate issued by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and UN/NGO/AID employees to obtain the same certificate by their sponsoring government department.
- All shipments must be ISPM15 compliant or additional quarantine charges may apply.
- Sea shipments take up to 30 days to clear and air shipments up to 10 days. High demurrage may apply.
- Household goods and personal effects should be shipped separately from commercial goods.
- Purchase Invoice
- There is no restriction on the import of used vehicles.
- All motor vehicles are subject to import duties and taxes as follows:
- Smaller than 2700 cc Duties 60% GST 10%
- Larger than 2700 cc Duties 110% GST 10%
- Buses, vans, passenger vans Duties 10% GST 10%
- Vaccination Record
- Veterinary Health Record
- The import of pets is subject to approval by the Chief Quarantine Officer.
- Pets may enter as cargo only.
- The quarantine period for dogs and cats arriving from Australia and New Zealand is 48 hours. The quarantine period from countries from other countries is 9 months.
- Alcohol (up to 1 L for persons 18 years and older)
- Cigarettes (260), cigars (250 g), tobacco (250 g) for persons 18 years and older
- Pornographic materials
- Firearms and ammunition
- Gambling instruments
- Subversive or offensive literature
- Agricultural products
Recommended: Contact the destination agent to ensure all requirements have been met prior to import, especially for differences regarding air / sea shipments.
IAM Note: Customs regulations can change at any time with or without notice. This document is provided as a guide and for information only. While IAM has exercised reasonable care in publishing this document, IAM makes no representation, either expressed or implied, as to its accuracy or applicability.