Country Guide: Spain
Find movers in Spain now!
Used Household Goods and Personal Effects
- Original of passport
- Original of DNI (for Spaniards) or NIE (residence permit for foreigners)
- Detailed inventory, valued and signed in Spanish
- Original certificate of change of residence (“Baja Consular”) issued by the Spanish Consulate at origin
- Spanish resident card / work permit
- Original bill of lading (OBL) / air waybill (AWB)
- “Alta de Empadronamiento” issued by the local authorities of the place of residence in Spain
- Application form for duty-free importation
- Diplomatic Franchise (Diplomats)
Note: Customs regulations may differ between cities. It is important to contact agent for specific information prior to importation.
- Household goods are duty free if meeting the following conditions:
- Goods are owned and used by the owner of the goods for a minimum of 6 months
- The shipment is imported into Spain within 12 months after owner of the goods arrival
- The owner of the goods must have lived abroad for a minimum of 1 year
- If a Spanish Residence permit is not available, a Bank Guarantee between 40% and 60% of the total value declared in the inventory and the presentation of the Work Permit will be required for Customs clearance.
- The Bank Guarantee will be returned when regularization is completed within 6 months upon presentation of the permit.
- Owner of the goods must be registered at the National Tax Office / Revenue Service; if the owner of the goods has not obtained a Residence Permit, the owner of the goods’ employer, company or a person already registered at National Tax Office must represent the owner of the goods at Customs clearance.
- Owner of the goods must obtain Diplomatic Franchise from the Foreign Affairs Ministry, which takes approximately 2-3 weeks.
- Original vehicle purchase invoice
- Original documents of the car (e.g., certificate of title and registration, insurance, etc.)
- The car must be built to fit EU standards.
- If the model of the car is not sold in the EU, owner of the goods must obtain from the manufacturer a document stating to what EU model his car matches.
- Vehicle must have been used by owner of the goods for a minimum of 6 months.
- Vaccination record
- International health certificate
- Pets must be identifiable through microchip or a tattoo.
- Muzzles are required for dogs in some areas of Spain; check with agent for specific locations.
- Pets subject to examination by a Customs veterinarian.
- Fur coats may undergo Customs examination.
- There are no limits on the amount of alcohol and tobacco imported from countries in the European Union; however, Customs is more likely to investigate if bringing more than the quantities indicated:
- Cigarettes (800), cigarillos (400 or 3 g each), cigars (200), smoking tobacco (1 kg)
- Spirits over 22% (10 L), spirits under 22% (20 L), Wine (90 L but no more than 60 L of sparkling wine), beer (110 L)
- The following items may qualify for imported by persons 18 years and older within the limits indicated:
- Cigarettes (200), cigarillos (100), cigars (50), smoking tobacco (250 g)
- Alcohol exceeding 22% volume or un-denatured ethyl alcohol 80% volume and over (1 L), alcohol not exceeding 22% volume (2 L), still wine (4 L), beer (16 L)
- Firearms and ammunition (permit is required)
- Antiques (permit is required)
- Liquor and alcohol (small quantities)
- Pictures, sculptures, Persian carpets and other art items
- Protected species and products made from them per the Washington Convention (CITES), such as ivory, tortoise shells, coral, reptile skins, etc.
Recommended: Contact the destination agent to ensure all requirements have been met prior to import, especially for differences regarding air / sea shipments.
Cultural and Other InformationCIA World Factbook Entry for Spain
IAM Note: Customs regulations can change at any time with or without notice. This document is provided as a guide and for information only. While IAM has exercised reasonable care in publishing this document, IAM makes no representation, either expressed or implied, as to its accuracy or applicability.