Country Guide: South Korea
Find movers in South Korea now!
Used Household Goods and Personal Effects
- Copy of Passport (identification and entry stamp) from shipper and accompanying family members
- Work Visa, valid for at least 1 year
- Detailed inventory
- Original Bill of Lading (OBL) / Air Waybill (AWB)
- Certificate of Alien Registration / Residence Card (from Korean Immigration Office)
- Certificate of Entry and Departure (returning Koreans)
- Application for Duty Exemption issued by Foreign Affairs Ministry of Korea (Diplomats)
- Goods must arrive at port of entry / airport of entry (POE / AOE) in Korea within 6 months of the owner’s arrival.
- Clearance should take place at a bonded warehouse.
- Personal effects cannot be Customs cleared prior to the shipper’s arrival.
- All incoming shipments, excluding diplomatic shipments, are subject to open inspection by the Korean Customs Authority.
- Evidence of at least 1 year abroad must be shown in Passport (returning Koreans)
- Original Title
- Original Registration Certificate
- Original Purchase Receipt or Invoice
- Detailed inventory (Diplomats)
- Original insurance documents
- Proof of ownership (Diplomats)
- Insurance Declarations Page or policy information (Diplomats)
- Customs Duty Exemption showing frame number or chassis number, engine number, model and type (Diplomats)
- Vehicle must be listed on the inventory with full technical specifications (make, model, plate number, etc.)
- In order to register and to drive in South Korea, the vehicle must pass the following Government tests:
- Emission Gas Level Test
- Noise and Vibration Test
- Type and Model Approval
- Documentary clearance does not require a physical inspection.
- Vehicles cannot be sold or transferred by a Diplomat to a non-diplomatic individual for 3 years; however sale or transfer between diplomatic individuals is authorized.
- If a vehicle is sold or transferred to a non-diplomatic individual by a Diplomat within 3 years of vehicle importation, duties and taxes shall be charged by Korean Customs.
- The vehicle must be identified on the detailed inventory.
- Valid Health Certificate
- Vaccination Record (must include rabies vaccination)
- Proof of identification
- Animals will be quarantined upon arrival to South Korea; currently, there is a 10-day quarantine required.
- Animals should have vaccinations at least 30 days prior to import.
- If rabies vaccinations are not older than 30 days, pets must remain in quarantine the 10-days plus the number of days to total 30 full days since the rabies vaccination.
- The following household goods may be imported duty free by persons 19 years and older within the limits indicated:
- Alcohol (1 L)
- Cigarettes (200), cigars (50), tobacco (250 g)
- Perfume (2 oz.)
- Personal items (gifts, new items, etc. up to $400)
- Firearms, ammunition, and explosive materials, including fireworks (permission from the Korean authorities is required)
- Narcotic and psychotropic drugs
- Plants and plant byproducts (subject to quarantine and approval by the authorities; denial of entry is possible)
- Illegal drugs
- Pornographic material
- Counterfeit goods or materials
- Subversive and treasonous materials
Recommended: Contact the destination agent to ensure all requirements have been met prior to import, especially for differences regarding air / sea shipments.
IAM Note: Customs regulations can change at any time with or without notice. This document is provided as a guide and for information only. While IAM has exercised reasonable care in publishing this document, IAM makes no representation, either expressed or implied, as to its accuracy or applicability.