Country Guide: Cayman Islands
Household Goods and Personal Effects
- Detailed Inventory
- Invoices (new goods)
- Customs Import Entry form, if applicable
- Appointment of Agent form, if applicable
- Customs Import/Export Declaration
- Declaration of Unaccompanied Personal Effects, if applicable
- Original Bill of Lading (OBL) / Express Release / Air Waybill (AWB)
- When establishing residence in the Cayman Islands, household goods and personal effects moved within the first 6 months of residence are exempt from duties if the following conditions apply: − Imported items are used personal belongings older than 6 months including computers and furniture (proof of date of purchase may be required). − Vehicles, alcohol and tobacco are not included in the duty exemption.
- Vehicle Title / Registration
- OBL / AWB
- Duties are approximately 27.5% of the cost, insurance and freight (CIF) value.
- Vaccination Record
- Veterinary Health Certificate
- Official Health Certificate for Animal, Bird or Fish / Phytosanitary Certificate for Plant or Plant Product
- CITES Certificate, if applicable
- Import Permit obtained from the Cayman Islands Department of Agriculture
- The Import Permit must be obtained prior to the import of any live animal, bird, fish, plant or plant product.
- Imported species are required to undergo inspection and must be accompanied by an original copy of an Inspection Certificate.
- The Inspection Certificate must be issued by the Agricultural Authority at origin.
- Dogs and cats must be at least 10 months old for import.
- An Import Permit application must be completed and submitted with an official Health Certificate and rabies report plus required fees.
- Dogs and cats must be permanently identified with a microchip transponder or tattoo; contact destination agent for specific requirements.
- Pets must be vaccinated against rabies by a licensed veterinarian using an approved inactivated vaccine.
- A blood test must be taken within 30 days after the vaccination to check for protective antibodies against rabies; approved laboratories must be used.
- Pets are eligible for entry 6 months after the date of the blood test showing a successful result. Rabies vaccinations older than 1 year or blood test results older than 2 years prior to import will be accepted.
- Contact Veterinary Services, Department of Agriculture, Grand Cayman Islands for more information.
- Firearms, ammunition, bullet proof vests and gun powder (an Import Permit and License signed by the Commissioner of Police is required)
- Controlled or illegal drugs or paraphernalia
- Obscene publication and articles
- Items depicting any reference to marijuana
- Counterfeit coins and notes
- Items for gambling
- Turtles and products related thereof
- Spear guns and Hawaiian slings and parts
Recommended: Contact the destination agent to ensure all requirements have been met prior to import, especially for differences regarding air / sea shipments.