Coming Up in the Portal
In every issue of the Portal, we invite our authors to share their experiences, success stories, learning experiences, and vision with others in the moving and forwarding industry. In addition to our regular columns, feature articles for each issue are united by a central theme. This page contains the theme, guidelines, and deadlines for the upcoming issue of the magazine and will change regularly. Our editorial calendar will give you a glance further into future issues, and the Submit Your Story page details regular columns to which you may submit articles and news, as well as our submission guidelines and instructions.
Africa: A Regional Focus
It’s been nine years since the Portal magazine focused on Africa, a continent rich in opportunities, challenges, risks and rewards. During that time, the mobility industry has experienced tremendous growth in the midst of political, cultural, and economic change—and IAM member companies have risen to the occasion.
Your company operates in Africa, and our readers would love to know about your experiences, which is why we invite your contribution to the March/April issue of the Portal. Here’s what we’d like to know (suggested topics—or surprise us!):\
- Please provide some background about the history of your company. When and where was it established? Is it a family-owned business?
- How big is your company? How may facilities, trucks, and employees do you have? Do you find it easy or difficult to find and keep good employees?
- Does your company do mostly residential, government, or corporate moves? Is your country’s population mobile, or do they tend to stay in one place for most of their lives?
- What keeps customers coming back to you with future business? What does your company do especially well?
- Have you performed any particularly interesting or noteworthy jobs that you would like to tell our readers about?
- Have the political climate and national disasters affected you? If so, how have you addressed those challenges?
- What are the unusual or unique aspects of doing business in your country?
- What are your future plans for the company (e.g., expansions, new facilities, additional services)?
You may write your own article or simply provide the suggested information and we’ll include it in a staff-written overview article. High-resolution digital photos (as separate image files, not embedded in your Word document) are welcome and will be used with your story as space permits. We don’t have a specific word limit but suggest about 500-800 words. Remember that all submissions are subject to editing.
We also welcome contributions to our second March/April feature: How to start preparing NOW for the Annual Meeting & Expo, where we seek practical advice for new (and not-so-new) attendees about how to begin now to make the most of your time at the Annual Meeting in October.
You may provide your text in an email message or as an attached Word document. Be sure to include your name, job title and company with your submission. Send your contribution and any questions to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The deadline for this issue is February 15, 2019.