GSA Webinar: New Telecom Rule Impacts ALL Contracts…Are You Prepared?
Have you heard about Section 889 of the FY 2019 National Defense Authorization Act (NDAA)? The legislation was passed to combat national security and intellectual property threats that face the United States and contains two prohibitions: Part A and Part B.
Part A went into effect last year (August 13, 2019), and prohibits the government from buying or obtaining certain prohibited telecommunications and video surveillance equipment and services.
Part B will go into effect on August 13, 2020, and prohibits the government from contracting with any entity that uses certain prohibited telecommunications and video surveillance equipment or services, regardless of whether or not that usage is in performance of work under a government contract. The Part B prohibition applies to every sector and every dollar amount. Your contracts will be impacted by Part B.
The flyer regarding Section 889 contains high-level information about the prohibitions and the FAR Rule. GSA is working on implementation guidance and instructions, both of which will be communicated once completed. In the meantime, GSA invites industry to participate in the following two events:
- GSA's Office of Small Business Utilization is hosting a webinar on Section 889 on July 30, 2020 at 2:00 p.m. Eastern. Register HERE.
- GSA is hosting a live and recorded virtual webinar on August 12, 2020 1:00 p.m. Eastern. (Registration instructions forthcoming).
- This webinar is comprised of leaders from GSA's business lines who will explain how they are implementing Section 889 in their specific business lines
- Panelists will also answer questions that have been pre-collected from industry
- Please send in your questions no later than COB August 5, 2020, Eastern to firstname.lastname@example.org.