Country Guide: Sao Tome and Principe
Household Goods and Personal Effects
- Original AWB / OBL
- Sao Tomean tax card (cartao de contribuinte) from the client or his company or his organisation
- Copy of valid passport
- Copy of residence permit
- Original valued (€ or US$) inventory list in Portuguese dated and signed
- Packing list in Portuguese or French / English
- Head letter of employment in Portuguese and stamped from the company or organisation in Sao Tome
- Original Certificate of change of residence
DIPLOMATS : Same as above with diplomatic exemption stamped by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs.
RETURNING RESIDENTS : Exemption from VAT, taxes and duties, provided that they have stayed out of Sao Tome for a period not less than 12 months.
Extra charges cannot be avoided (Rent, demurrage) payable at destination.
- Car registration document
- Attestation of not resale
- Declaration of value
- Copy of vehicle purchase invoice
- Descriptive inventory of car
- Diplomatic exemption or concession allowed by Customs authorities if any
- Full or partial suspension of taxes and duties for the period of stay. Concession granted for one year, renewable, maximum 4 years. At the end, definitive import with payment of remaining taxes and duties or re-export free of taxes and duties
- In all cases, payment of general customs fees
- In all cases, payment of “taxa do porto’ – 3 % on C.I.F. value
- Guarantee or bank guarantee. The amount of security is the amount of customs duties and charges incurred
- Request for the concession
- FOREIGN COMPANY domiciled in Sao Tome are excluded from duty-free or duty-suspension arrangement.
- Drugs, narcotics, weapons, ammunitions and explosives are prohibited
- Distilled beverage as ether, wormwood, isopropyl alcohol, benzyl alcohol
- Tobacco : 250 gr or 200 cigarettes or 50 cigars
- Alcohol : 1 L. of spirit or 2 L. of wine
- Pharmaceutical products permitted in reasonable quantities
- Perfume 50 ml – Toilet water/ eau de toilette 250ml
- Pornographic film, drawing, picture
- Foodstuffs containing some saccharin
Recommended: Contact the destination agent to ensure all requirements have been met prior to import, especially for differences regarding air / sea shipments.
IAM Note: Customs regulations can change at any time with or without notice. This document is provided as a guide and for information only. While IAM has exercised reasonable care in publishing this document, IAM makes no representation, either expressed or implied, as to its accuracy or applicability.