Country Guide: Lebanon
Find movers in Lebanon now!
Used Household Goods and Personal Effects
- Documents Required
- Original Lebanese Passport showing entry date into Lebanon (returning citizens)
- Statement by the Lebanese Embassy or Consulate at the country of origin, specifying that owner has resided in the country of origin for more than 3 years and he is moving back to the home country (returning citizens)
- Original Bill of Lading (OBL) / Air Waybill (AWB) (returning citizens, foreigners)
- Delivery Order
- Detailed Packing List
- Transfer letter from employer at origin and at destination (foreigner)
- Sales Contract / Lease Agreement attested from the local municipality (returning citizens, foreigners)
- Employment Contract with Lebanese firm (foreigners)
- Work Permit issued by the Lebanese Labor Office (foreigners)
- Residence Permit issued by the Lebanese General Security Office (foreigners)
- Visa, if applicable
Shipments Sent / Received in the Name of Personnel
- Copy of Identity Card (shipments sent or received by a company / organization)
- Copy of Registration Certificate at the Ministry of Finance (shipments sent or received by a company / organization)
- Copy of the last get well certificate from the social security authority (shipments sent or received by a company / organization)
- Copy of the company registration in the commercial register (shipments sent or received by a company / organization)
- Copy of the commercial circular (shipments sent or received by a company / organization)
- Copy of the company certificate registration at the ministry of Finances (shipments sent or received by a company / organization)
- Customs Clearance Form including a description of shipment items, signed and stamped (shipments sent or received by a company / organization)
- Copy of the Identity Card of the company / organization authority signing the documents (shipments sent or received by a company / organization)
- The shipment must arrive within 3 months of the owner’s entry date.
- All used household goods shipments are subject to Customs duties and value added tax (VAT), unless documents for exemption are provided.
- All diplomatic shipments are duty free.
- Shipper and consignee should be the same name showing on the OBL / AWB.
- The shipper must be present for Customs clearance (returning citizens, foreigners).
- The detailed packing list must be duly authenticated by the Lebanese Embassy in the country of origin for returning citizens.
- An exemption from duties for a returning citizens is allowed only once in a lifetime.
- There are no exemptions on new household goods and personal effects.
- The name of the shipper should match identically on the Passport and OBL / AWB.
- If exemption clearing documents are not available or complete and the shipment has arrived to the Beirut sea port, the shipment can be cleared under a refundable Bank Guarantee Letter, valid for 3 months, to be withdrawn against presentation of the clearing documents required when available. The client must have a rental contract for apartment residence in Lebanon,
- Failure to provide the documents required for Customs clearance will result in customary duties and taxes per the Customs tariff code issued by the Lebanese Customs authorities.
- All videotapes, CDs books, records, are inspected by the General Security Office.
- Satellite dish, receivers, fax machines and wireless telephone machines, are inspected by Ministry of Post and Telecommunications prior to delivery of shipment (it takes approximately 3-4 days).
- Vehicle Title / Registration
- Purchase Invoice
- Automobiles and boats are subject to Customs duties and value added tax (VAT), unless documents for exemption are provided.
- Cars older than 8 years cannot be imported; all cars less than 8 years will be taxable at a minimum of USD 5000 except for diplomats who are exempt from this prohibition.
- Vaccination Record
- Veterinary Health Certificate
- The documents required must prove vaccination against rabies.
- Pets are subject to taxes.
- Food items (subject to inspection by the Agricultural Research Institute and require a Visa from the Ministry of Agriculture, Health and Economy)
- Electronic components (subject to inspection by the Industrial Research Institute)
- Dangerous goods (a preliminary authorization from the carrier line or airline is required for import and should be classified as non-restricted cargo)
- Alcohol is permitted but is taxable.
- Firearms and ammunitions
- Drugs and narcotics
- Pornographic materials
- Swords (including ornamental), knives
Recommended: Contact the destination agent to ensure all requirements have been met prior to import, especially for differences regarding air / sea shipments.