Country Guide: Ivory Coast
Find movers in Ivory Coast now!
Used Household Goods and Personal Effects
- Copy of passport entry stamp in Ivory Coast
- Packing list in French
- Original detailed and valued inventory in French, dated, and signed by the owner of the goods
- Original bill of lading (OBL) / air waybill (AWB).
- Bordereau de suivi de cargaison / cargo tracking note
- Diplomatic card issued by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Ivory Coast
- Diplomatic franchise (exemption certificate)
- Original move certificate delivered at origin by city or consulate in the country of departure
- Copy of residency card / work permit
- Letter of employment in Ivory Coast (in French) certifying starting date and position
- Certificate of filiation / etat de filiation (document from the owner of the goods giving details on: parents, name, date of birth, and address)
- Import taxes apply on HHG items at 1% CIF value + EUR 30 per shipment for non-diplomats.
- If telex/express release expect additional release fees (+/- USD 100)
- Diplomats still pay minimum tax EUR 30 per shipment (double if HHG & POV)
- Diplomatic franchise must be applied for by the diplomatic organization employing the owner of the goods.
- Process usually takes 2-3 weeks.
- OBL and diplomatic card are necessary for this process.
- The franchise is issued by the MFA and needs to be endorsed by Customs head office before being handed over.
- Owner of the goods must register with Internal Revenue Services, which takes approximately 3 days to provide with a tax identification number used only for importation of HHG.
- Tax payer identification numbers are not required for diplomats as long as their embassy/organization has a permanent one.
- Non-diplomatic sea shipments are subject to Customs scanner and inspection.
- Additional fees than expected (approx USD 500/TEU).
- Electrical items will be considered new if invoices are not provided.
- Import duties and taxes apply to new items at approximately 44% CIF value.
- Sea shipments take within 7-15 business days to arrive providing all requested documents have been submitted prior to shipment arrival.
- Air shipments take within 5-10 business days to arrive providing all requested documents have been submitted prior to shipment arrival.
- Original registration card
- OBL (showing net weight of car and 17 characters chassis number)
- Purchase invoice (if new)
- Vehicles older than 7 years cannot be imported without additional taxes and penalties.
- Vehicles for non-diplomats should not be sent in the same container as the household goods and personal effects (expect then 4-6 weeks clearance delays and additional charges)
- Customs duties & taxes at approx. 44% CIF value
- Other expected extra charges: “CIL & Vignette” fees (EUR 200-500 per vehicle).
- Vaccination record
- Veterinary health certificate
- Import permit
- Documents must be issued from country of origin prior to entry and wait for import permit to be made available.
- Firearms and ammunition (authorization from the territorial administration is required)
- The following items may qualify for free import within the limits indicated:
- Cigarettes (200), cigars (25), cigarillos (100)
- Tobacco (250 g)
- Wine and spirits (1 bottle)
- Perfume (250 ml)
IAM Note: It is advisable to avoid food / new items in air shipments, and large quantities of food / new items in non-diplomatic sea shipments.
- Illegal drugs
- Pornographic materials
- Plants and plant materials
- Counterfeit items
- Subversive materials
Recommended: Contact the destination agent to ensure all requirements have been met prior to import, especially for differences regarding air / sea shipments.