Country Guide: Ghana
Household Goods and Personal Effects
- Original passport with entry visa
- Packing list
- Original bill of lading (OBL) - no express release / air waybill (AWB)
- Letter from the employer stating that the client is starting a new contract in Ghana
- PUBD form (personal unaccompanied baggage declaration) to be filled in at airport of arrival
- Failure to do so will attract heavy penalties and delays in Clearance
- Invoices for the electrical and hi-fi appliances and for all the items bought less than 6 months before the shipment`s arrival
- Diplomatic shipments can be imported duty free, provided that the diplomatic mission has received the exemption certificate from the Ministry of Foreign Affairs.
- To apply for this exemption, original documents are needed (including the original AWB) at least 14 days prior to arrival of the shipment
- Agents must have all customs documents at least 15 days prior to the shipment's arrival to Ghana in order to obtain the document for free entry. "Diplomatic shipment" to be shown on the OBL / AWB.
- Original registration card
- Copy of purchase invoice
- Certificate of ownership
- Non-sale certificate
- The OBL must show chassis number, engine number, cylindrical power, cubic capacity, year of manufacture, brand and model of vehicle.
- This information must also be available on at least one of the official car documents provided (certificate of ownership, car title, car invoice, etc.)
- Cars up to 10 years can be imported in Ghana but will be taxed.
- Right hand drive vehicles are banned.
- Cylinder capacity below 1900 cc : 10% C.I.F. value (import duty)
- Cylinder capacity below 2500 cc : add V.A.T. of 10% C.I.G. value and import duty
- Cylinder capacity over 2500 cc : add special tax of 17,5% CIF value = V.A.T. + import duty
- Vaccination record
- Veterinary health certificate
- Import permit (from the Veterinary head office in Accra)
- Documents must be presented for pet entry into Ghana.
- Firearms and ammunitions (authorization from the territorial administration is required)
- Alcohol (“Fond de Cave”) is acceptable and duty free (max 20 bottles)
- Rough or uncut diamonds (license from the Ministry of Finance required)
- Live plants and plant products (a permit from the Ministry of Agriculture is required)
- Poultry products (permission from the Ministries of Trade and Agriculture is required for certain countries); contact agent for specific information.
Used refrigerator, used air conditioner, and used deep freezer regardless of client's status.
Firearms and ammunition are permitted subject to authorization from the territorial administration
Foreign cigarettes without warning notice
Mercuric medicated soap
Toxic waste, contaminated goods
Animals as well as plant and seeds infected with disease
Pornography, defamatory, obscene articles or publications
Dangerous weapons (including flick and paper knives)
Alcohol and other spirits are allowed in reasonable quantity (maximum of 10 bottles. Duties will be levied for the excess
Recommended: Contact the destination agent to ensure all requirements have been met prior to import, especially for differences regarding air / sea shipments.