Country Guide: Republic of Congo
Household Goods and Personal Effects
- Copy of Passport (including page showing Entry Permit)
- Packing list
- Original Bill of Lading (OBL) - no Express Release accepted / Ocean Freight Invoice / Air Waybill (AWB) – 2 copies
- Detailed valued inventory in French, signed and dated by the shipper
- Original detailed inventory of new items bought less than 6 months prior to import, valued and signed by the shipper with original invoices attached Letter of Employment
- Original Job Transfer Letter (from employer overseas, with start and end dates of employment)
- Original Certificate of Change of Residence (issued by local authority in origin country)
- Bordereau Electronique de Suivi de Cargaison (BESC) / Electronic Cargo Tracking Note (ECTN)
- Work Permit (issued by Ministry of Labor)
- Certificate of First Settlement (issued by Immigration Department)
- All original documents must be received by agent at least 15 days prior to arrival of the shipment to obtain the Certificate of Free Entry from the Customs head office.
- All personal effects shipments, including diplomatic shipments, are liable to payment of two taxes: o La redevance informatique (computer tax) at 2% of cost, insurance and freight (CIF) value o La taxe ARC (assurance) at 0.8% cost and freight value
- Pre-shipment inspection is not required for personal effects shipments or second hand cars, but is required for brand new car shipments (even if diplomatic).
- COTECNA is the designated accredited inspection company. Please contact the company in the origin country to schedule the inspection.
- Customs clearance for sea shipments is approximately 4 weeks.
- Customs clearance for air shipments is approximately 1 week.
- Original Registration Card
- Copy of Purchase Invoice
- OBL / Invoice for freight paid
- Original Invoice
- Non-sale Certificate
- Vehicles cleared without exemption are approximately 54.1% of the value estimated by Customs.
- The OBL must show chassis number, engine number, cubic capacity, year of manufacture, brand and model.
- Certificate of Vaccination
- Veterinary Health Certificate
- The Veterinary Health Certificate must state the animals are free from ticks and have not been exposed to contagious diseases.
- An additional rabies certificate must prove vaccination against rabies more than 30 days but less than 1 year prior to arrival if an inactivated or Kelev vaccine was used, or 36 months prior to departure if an avianized (Flury) was used; if an avianized vaccine was used, the certificate must be issued within 15 days prior to departure.
- Pets are subject to inspection upon arrival.
- Pets may enter as accompanied baggage or in cargo
- The following items may qualify for free import within the limits indicated:
- Cigarettes (100), cigars (50), tobacco (1/2 lb.)
- Alcoholic beverages (1 bottle)
- Perfume (a reasonable amount for personal use)
- Cameras (may be temporarily imported by tourists)
- Radios, tape recorders, record players (subject to duties)
- Satellite and radio communications equipment (authorization is required)
- Arms and ammunition (an Import License is required)
- Firearms and ammunitions (authorization from the territorial administration is required)
- Unlawful drugs
- Alcohol (only “Fond de Cave”) is acceptable and is duty free (30 bottles)
Recommended: Contact the destination agent to ensure all requirements have been met prior to import, especially for differences regarding air / sea shipments.