Country Guide: Libya
Household Goods and Personal Effects
- Copy of Passport (identification pages and passport translation page in Arabic)
- Packing list
- Entrance Visa / Work Permit (foreigners, Diplomats)
- Original Bill of Lading (OBL) / Telex Release / Air Waybill (AWB)
- Letter of Employment (foreigners)
- Statistics Code (provided by Libyan employer) (foreigners)
- Letter from the Libyan Consulate / Letter of Employment (returning citizens)
- Diplomatic Franchise from the Ministry of Foreign Affairs (Diplomats)
- The Customs clearance procedures can last from 7-10 days (foreigners) / 10-14 days (Diplomats).
- The shipper does not need to be present for Customs clearance.
- A letter from the Libyan Consulate is required for returning citizens, detailing the shipper’s mission abroad; however, if the entity employing the shipper has a branch in Libya, a letter from the employing branch is acceptable for re-entry.
- The shipper’s import documents should be ready prior to shipment arrival at the port / airport of entry to minimize port charges.
- Duties of approximately 10% may apply on shipments above the Customs estimate; however, Diplomats are exempt.
- Purchase Invoice
- Returning citizens cannot import vehicles older than 5 years of manufacture.
- For returning citizens 10% duty is applicable after the Customs estimation process.
- For foreigners, 25% of the value of the vehicle is paid as a deposit and a Temporary Regime is applied. The deposit is refunded after the foreigner’s final departure.
- Vaccination Record
- Veterinary Health Certificate (2 copies)
- The documents must accompany pets entering Libya.
- Plants and plant products (a Plant Quarantine Certificate is required)
- Insecticides (a permit obtained from the Secretariat of Agriculture and Agrarian Reform’s Plant Protection Department is required)
- Pornographic materials
- Counterfeit items
- Explosive materials
- Alcohol and spirits
Recommended: Contact the destination agent to ensure all requirements have been met prior to import, especially for differences regarding air / sea shipments.
IAM Note: Customs regulations can change at any time with or without notice. This document is provided as a guide and for information only. While IAM has exercised reasonable care in publishing this document, IAM makes no representation, either expressed or implied, as to its accuracy or applicability.