Country Guide: Madagascar
Household Goods and Personal Effects
- Original Passport showing the Entry Permit
- Packing list
- Original Bill of Lading (OBL) - no Express Release accepted / Air Waybill (AWB)
- Original inventory in French dated, valued and signed by the shipper
- Invoice from JIRAMA (water supplier) at the same address as on the inventory
- Original Work Permit issued by employer
- Work Authorization issued by Labor Ministry in Madagascar
- Original Certificate of Change of Residence issued at origin
- Original Residence Certificate issued by the Fokontany in Madagascar
- Bordereau de suivi de cargaison (BSC)
- Certificate for Free Entry
- The Certificate for Free Entry must be obtained from the Ministry of Foreign Affairs for duty-free import.
- There is no import duty if household goods are older than 6 months and the importation is considered as a move (Change of Residence Certificate is required).
- The duty on new items is 100%.
- All import shipments are subject to a GASYNET tax of 0.3% of cost, insurance and freight (CIF) value plus 20% value added tax (VAT) of 0.3%.
- Employment Certificate issued by the French Embassy (French cooperants)
- Purchase Invoice
- Certificate of Title / Registration
- When household goods and a motor vehicle are in the same container, demurrage charges are to be expected as the Customs procedure generally takes longer to complete.
- Diplomats are exempt from duties on cars or motorbikes.
- The Employment Certificate must be provided to agent upon arrival in Madagascar.
- All French coopérants must pay duties as follows:
- Approximately 59% of the CIF value of the shipment is required if the registration papers have been in the name of the shipper for more than 1 year
- Approximately 118% of the CIF value of the shipment if the registration papers have been in the name of the shipper for less than 1 year
- Private individuals or companies must be duties as follows:
- No duties are required if the registration papers have been in the name of the shipper for more than 1 year (private individuals or companies)
- Approximately 118% of the CIF value of the shipment is required if the registration papers have been in the name of the shipper for less than 1 year.
- Vaccination Record
- Veterinary Health Certificate
- All animals are subject to inspection upon arrival.
- The Veterinary Health Certificate issued from the country of origin must indicate that the animal does not have a contagious disease.
- Dogs over 3 months of age and cats over 6 months of age must be vaccinated against rabies within 1 month of import.
- The following items may qualify for free import if within the limits indicated:
- Cigarettes (500), cigars (25), tobacco (500 g)
- Alcohol (1 bottle)
- Alcohol (only “Fond de Cave”) is acceptable (less than 30 bottles)
- Firearms and ammunition
- Unlawful drugs
Recommended: Contact the destination agent to ensure all requirements have been met prior to import, especially for differences regarding air / sea shipments.