Country Guide: Myanmar
Household Goods and Personal Effects
- Copy of Passport
- Original Bill of Lading (OBL) / Air Waybill (AWB)
- Packing List
- Letter of Employment (letter for returning citizens must include the position held and duration of employment)
- Copy of Work Permit
- Copy of airline ticket
- Original airline Boarding Pass
- Income Tax Receipts issued by the Myanmar Embassy (returning citizens)
- Copy of Myanmar NRC Card for each family member (returning citizens)
- Copy of Airport Entry Stamp page (returning citizens)
- The shipper must be present for Customs clearance.
- The shipper’s name should be written on all documents and packages and must match his/her name exactly as it appears on the Passport.
- Customs clearance takes approximately 1 week for foreigners and returning citizens and approximately 3 weeks for Diplomats.
- It takes approximately 3 weeks from shipment arrival before less-than-container loads (LCL) are available for clearance by the Myanmar Port Authority.
- A foreigner may import used household goods and personal effects into Myanmar duty free if having diplomatic status or working for a legally-registered foreign company or business.
- All foreigners, with the exception of diplomats, must pay duty on consumable items.
- All goods imported duty free by a foreigner must also be exported upon future departure from Myanmar.
- Returning citizens may import used household goods duty free if they are returning to a personal residence after having lived abroad. Only one of each type of electrical item (televisions, washing machines, refrigerators, generators, computers, etc.) is allowable.
- Only one sea shipment and one air shipment are permitted duty free per shipper.
- Duty and tax is charged on new electronic items (LCD televisions, washing machines, computers, generators, refrigerators, dryer, electric ovens, etc.)
- Title / Registration
- Only foreign Diplomats may import vehicles into Myanmar duty free.
- Private individuals cannot import vehicles.
- Veterinary Health Certificate (not more than 7 days old)
- Vaccination Record
- Most pets, including dogs, cats, and birds, can be brought into Myanmar with no quarantine period.
- Check with destination agent for specific information.
- Antiques (should be declared to the Ministry of Archeology upon importation to avoid difficulties at time of export will be a problem)
- Video tapes and DVDs (are subject to censorship by the Ministry of Information. A fee of approximately USD 5.00 per tape or DVD is levied by the Ministry and will be collected from the shipper.)
- Alcohol (a maximum of 5 bottles are allowed in personal effects shipments)
- Firearms and ammunition
- Pornographic materials
- Communications equipment (satellite dishes, receivers, fax machines, phones, switchboards, walkie-talkies, shortwave radios, etc.)
Note: Any such items found in a household goods shipment will be confiscated, and the shipper will be fined.
Recommended: Contact the destination agent to ensure all requirements have been met prior to import, especially for differences regarding air / sea shipments.