Country Guide: Malawi-Blantyre
Find movers in Malawi-Blantyre now!
Used Household Goods and Personal Effects
- Copy of Passport
- Packing list
- Original Bill of Lading (OBL) / no Express Release / Air Waybill (AWB)
- Original valued inventory in English dated and signed by the shipper
- Invoices for all electrical items less than 6 months old
- Employment Contract
- Diplomatic Exemption (Diplomats)
- The agent must receive documents at least 15 days prior to arrival of the shipment to allow agent time to apply for a duty exemption on the used household goods.
- The shipper must be present during the clearing process.
- New personal effects are subject to 30% to 80% tax on declared value.
- The Diplomatic Mission will apply for documents on behalf of the shipper with the local Ministry of Foreign Affairs and must have copies of the OBL / AWB and packing list to initiate Customs clearance (Diplomats).
- Copy of Passport
- Original Registration Card
- Shipper`s Employment Contract
- Original Purchase Invoice
- OBL / AWB
- Taxes on vehicles will depend on age, power, etc. of approximately 95% to 150% cost, insurance and freight (CIF).
- The OBL must show chassis number, engine number, cubic capacity, year of manufacture, brand and model.
- Veterinary Health Certificate
- Valid Vaccination Record
- Current vaccinations and permission from nearest Embassy are required for the importation of live animals.
- Alcohol (subject to taxes)
- New electrical, electronic Items and computers are subject to 50% to 150% tax on the declared value
- One used computer is granted duty free.
- Firearms and ammunitions (authorization from the territorial administration required)
- Illegal drugs
- Explosive materials
- Counterfeit items
Recommended: Contact the destination agent to ensure all requirements have been met prior to import, especially for differences regarding air / sea shipments.
IAM Note: Customs regulations can change at any time with or without notice. This document is provided as a guide and for information only. While IAM has exercised reasonable care in publishing this document, IAM makes no representation, either expressed or implied, as to its accuracy or applicability.