Country Guide: Niger
Find movers in Niger now!
Used Household Goods and Personal Effects
- Copy of passport
- Packing list
- Original bill of lading (OBL) / no express release / air waybill (AWB)
- Original valued inventory in French, dated, and signed by the owner of the goods
- Invoice for all electrical items less than 6 months old
- Resident permit / work permit / letter of employment
- Non-sale certificate (declaration that owner of the goods will not sell any personal effects)
- Diplomatic exemption
- A certificate for free entry must be obtained from the Customs head office.
- Household goods are duty free if in the owner of the goods’ possession at least 6 months.
- One electrical appliance per type is authorized duty free (e.g., 1 television, 1 refrigerator, 1 VCR, etc.)
- All owners of the goods must pay a government tax of 2% of the cost, insurance and freight (CIF) value of the shipment (including diplomats).
- New items are subject to import duties of 57%.
- For diplomatic shipments, the agent must have all Customs documents more than 15 days prior to arrival of the shipment to obtain the certificate for free entry.
- Customs clearance will occur once the diplomatic exoneration is received.
- Copy passport
- Original registration card
- OBL / AWB
- Insurance certificate
- Change of residence certificate
- Copy of purchase invoice
- Taxes on vehicles depend on age, power etc. (approximately 57% of the cost, insurance and freight of the shipment (CIF)
- The OBL must show chassis number, engine number, cubic capacity, year of manufacture, brand and model.
- Vaccination record
- Veterinary health certificate
- The veterinary health certificate must be issued within 3 days prior to import, stating that the animal (cat or dog) has been clear of rabies or other infectious disease a minimum of 6 weeks prior to import.
- The following items may qualify for free import for persons over 15 years of age:
- Cigarettes (200), cigarillos (100), cigars (25), tobacco (250)
- Wine and spirits (1 bottle each)
- Eau de toilette (1/2 L) and perfume (1/4 L)
- Firearms and ammunitions (authorization from the territorial administration)
- Alcohol (only “Fond de Cave”) is acceptable and is duty free (max 20 bottles)
Recommended: Contact the destination agent to ensure all requirements have been met prior to import, especially for differences regarding air / sea shipments.