Country Guide: Paraguay
Find movers in Paraguay now!
Used Household Goods and Personal Effects
- Original ID card
- Certificate of Customs
- Copy of Packing List (2 copies)
- Original Bill of Lading (OBL) / Air Waybill (AWB) (2 copies)
- Permanent Residence Certificate valid for 5 years (foreigners)
- VISA (returning citizens)
- Diplomatic Franchise (Diplomats)
- Country of origin document (returning citizens seeking a tax exemption)
- Repatriation identification (returning citizens seeking a tax exemption)
- Certificate of Residence (returning citizens seeking a tax exemption)
- The OBL / AWB must show the actual weight of the cargo and the tare weight of the container (2 copies)
- Household goods and personal effects must have been used and in the possession of the owner abroad for at least 1 year and in continued use by the owner after arrival.
- The Paraguayan Customs Offices does not accept "Express Release” OBLs.
- The Packing List must include a value for each item, quantity, description, and unit value (excludes diplomatic shipments)
- Transshipments through the Port of Buenos Aires should be managed by the Paraguayan Franco Port.
- The Packing List and OBL / AWB must have the stamp of the Paraguayan Consulate at origin.
- Foreigners may import household goods and personal effects duty free within the first 6 months of a Permanent Residence if valid for 5 years.
- Returning citizens may import goods exempt from taxes if having lived abroad for at least 2 years and have obtained the required documents from the repatriation office, including the following:
- Diplomats may import household goods and personal effects duty free.
- To obtain the Diplomatic Franchise, the owner must be accredited by the Paraguayan Government and arrive in Paraguay at least 2 weeks prior to shipment arrival.
- Customs clearance takes approximately 3 days.
- A charge of approximately USD 90 will apply to all OBLs.
- No documents are required for the import of works of art and antiques, household appliances, gifts and souvenirs, machines, spare parts and carpets if part of the household goods shipment.
- All wood packing materials must comply with International Standards for Phytosanitary Measures Publication 15 (ISPM-15).
- Copy of Passport
- Commercial Invoice
- Pre-shipment Inspection Certificate
- Name and address of pre-inspection location (foreigners, returning citizens)
- Details of the vehicle including country of manufacture, etc. (foreigners, returning citizens)
- SGS / VERITAS Verification Certificate for vehicles over USD 3,000 of value at origin (does not apply to diplomatic shipments)
- Original Commercial Invoice
- Title / Registration
- The Commercial Invoice must have the stamp of the Paraguayan Consulate at origin.
- Vehicles imported by foreigners and returning citizens must be inspected prior to import by one of two authorized international companies: Bureau VERITAS (BIVAC) or S.G.S.
- Vehicles to meet the inspection requirement for foreigners and returning citizens are subject to re-exportation of the shipment.
- Only Diplomats may import vehicles duty free.
- Import taxes are approximately 35-37% on the value determined by Customs.
- Vehicles older than 10 years cannot be imported (except diplomatic shipments).
- Vaccination Record
- Veterinary Health Certificate
- The Vaccination Record must be dated not less than 30 days and not more than 1 year prior to arrival.
- The documents must accompany the pet during travel.
- The Veterinary Health Certificate must not be dated more than 10 days prior to the arrival of the pet and stamped by the Department of Agriculture at origin; it must contain the owner’s name and address, pet’s breed, gender, date of birth, size, color, description, country of origin, and statement declaring the animal free from disease.
- Quarantine is not required if documents requirements are met.
- Food items, including tins (a health inspection is required)
- Firearms and ammunition (authorization by the police / authorities is required)
- Dangerous objects and weapons (authorization by the police / authorities is required)
- Wedding trousseaux (is subject to duties)
- Inheritances (are subject to duties and an Inheritance Certificate is required)
- Military equipment
Recommended: Contact the destination agent to ensure all requirements have been met prior to import, especially for differences regarding air / sea shipments.