Country Guide: Paraguay
Find movers in Paraguay now!
Used Household Goods and Personal Effects
- Original ID card
- Certificate of Customs
- Copy of packing list (2 copies)
- Original bill of lading (OBL) / air waybill (AWB) (2 copies)
- Permanent residence certificate valid for 5 years (foreigners)
- Visa (returning citizens)
- Diplomatic franchise (diplomats)
- Country of origin document (returning citizens seeking a tax exemption)
- Repatriation identification (returning citizens seeking a tax exemption)
- Certificate of residence (returning citizens seeking a tax exemption)
- The OBL / AWB must show the actual weight of the cargo and the tare weight of the container (2 copies).
- Household goods and personal effects must have been used and in the possession of the owner abroad for at least 12 months and in continued use by the owner of the goods after arrival.
- The Paraguayan Customs Offices do not accept "express release” OBLs.
- The packing list must include a value for each item, quantity, description, and unit value (excludes diplomatic shipments).
- Transshipments through the port of Buenos Aires should be managed by the Paraguayan Franco Port.
- The packing list and OBL / AWB must have the stamp of the Paraguayan Consulate at origin.
- Foreigners may import household goods and personal effects duty free within the first 6 months of a permanent residence if valid for 5 years.
- Returning citizens may import goods exempt from taxes if having lived abroad for at least 2 years and have obtained the required documents from the repatriation office, including the following:
- Diplomats may import household goods and personal effects duty free.
- To obtain the diplomatic franchise, the owner of the goods must be accredited by the Paraguayan Government and arrive in Paraguay at least 2 weeks prior to shipment arrival.
- Customs clearance takes approximately 3 days.
- A charge of approximately USD 90 will apply to all OBLs.
- No documents are required for the import of works of art and antiques, household appliances, gifts, souvenirs, machines, spare parts, and carpets if part of the household goods shipment.
- All wood packing materials must comply with International Standards for Phytosanitary Measures Publication 15 (ISPM-15).
- Copy of passport
- Commercial invoice
- Pre-shipment inspection certificate
- Name and address of pre-inspection location (foreigners / returning citizens)
- Details of the vehicle including country of manufacture, etc. (foreigners, returning citizens)
- SGS / VERITAS verification certificate for vehicles over USD 3,000 of value at origin (does not apply to diplomatic shipments)
- Original commercial invoice
- Title / registration
- The commercial invoice must have the stamp of the Paraguayan Consulate at origin.
- Vehicles imported by foreigners and returning citizens must be inspected prior to import by one of two authorized international companies: Bureau VERITAS (BIVAC) or S.G.S.
- Vehicles to meet the inspection requirement for foreigners and returning citizens are subject to re-exportation of the shipment.
- Only diplomats may import vehicles duty free.
- Import taxes are approximately 35-37% on the value determined by Customs.
- Vehicles older than 10 years cannot be imported (except diplomatic shipments).
- Vaccination record
- Veterinary health certificate
- The vaccination record must be dated not less than 30 days and not more than 12 months prior to arrival.
- The documents must accompany the pet during travel.
- The veterinary health certificate must not be dated more than 10 days prior to the arrival of the pet and stamped by the Department of Agriculture at origin; it must contain the owner of the goods’ name, and address, pet’s breed, gender, date of birth, size, color, description, country of origin, and statement declaring the animal free from disease.
- Quarantine is not required if documents requirements are met.
- Food items, including tins (a health inspection is required)
- Firearms and ammunition (authorization by the police / authorities is required)
- Dangerous objects and weapons (authorization by the police / authorities is required)
- Wedding trousseaux (is subject to duties)
- Inheritances (are subject to duties and an inheritance certificate is required)
- Military equipment
Recommended: Contact the destination agent to ensure all requirements have been met prior to import, especially for differences regarding air / sea shipments.
Cultural and Other InformationCIA World Factbook Entry for Paraguay
IAM Note: Customs regulations can change at any time with or without notice. This document is provided as a guide and for information only. While IAM has exercised reasonable care in publishing this document, IAM makes no representation, either expressed or implied, as to its accuracy or applicability.