Country Guide: Portugal
Household Goods and Personal Effects
- Original Passport, stating place of residence abroad (and 1 certified copy)
- "Certificado de Bagagem" issued by the Portuguese Consulate at origin
- Detailed inventory in Portuguese
- Copy of Visa
- Declaration as per EU regulations
- Original Bill of Lading (OBL) / Air Waybill (AWB)
- Residence Certificate (Atestado de Residencia)
- Photocopy of air ticket or declaration (must include details, date of arrival, etc.)
- Photocopy of work contract (if applicable)
- Proof of application for Residence Permit
- Copy of Identity Card (Diplomats)
- The Certificado de Bagagem must state that all the items are used and have been in the client`s possession for more than 6 months (do not show values).
- Residence Certificate (Atestado de Residencia) can be obtained by the transferee and issued by the Junta de Freguesia in which transferee’s residence in Portugal is situated; it must state that he/she has been residing there for less than 1 year and include the exact date of arrival in Portugal, if possible.
- If shipper is not a citizen of the origin country, proof of residency for a period of at least 12 months is required (photocopy of Identity Card, certificate issued by the Portuguese Consulate or Employment Contract from the origin country, etc.).
- Portuguese nationals are not required to provide proof of application for a Residence Permit.
- Transferees must be present for Customs clearance and must provide an exact date of arrival in Portugal.
- Although normal goods are duty free, Custom´s broker fees are generally required and are based ad valorem.
- Port handling charges and warehouse fees may be included in Custom’s broker fees but can be expensive; estimates should be requested from agent prior to import.
- Registration Certificate
- International Driver’s License
- Insurance documents
- Import License
- Any documents related to the details of the motor vehicle (Purchase Invoice, inspection records, etc.)
- Duty-free entry for temporary import period of 6 months, during which definitive importation of the car must occur.
- Costs of duties and taxes depend on value of the motor vehicle in Portugal.
- If no definitive importation is performed, the motor vehicle must leave the country before a period of 6 months.
- Boats are subject to the payment of duties.
- Vaccination Certificate (must include rabies vaccination information)
- Veterinary Health Certificate
- Pets must be identifiable (tattoo or an electronic identification system) and vaccinated against rabies.
- Pornographic objects
- Powdered milk for babies, food for children and special medical food (including pet food) may be allowed if not requiring refrigeration and with original, unbroken seal (unless in use at the time), Quantity must not exceed the weight of 10 kg originating from Croatia, Faroe Islands, Greenland and Iceland, and of 2 kg if originating in other countries
- Fish if it is disemboweled (cannot exceed 20 kg)
- Coats, fur and leather shoes made of protected animals (special authorization required)
- Systems for copying mail stamping systems
- Essences for regional wine counterfeit
- Firearms, cut and thrust weapons, and any instrument without specific application
- Medicines and foodstuffs harmful to national health and drugs
- Meat and milk, and any by-products thereof, from non-EU countries with the exception of limited amounts from Andorra, Croatia, the Faroe Islands, Greenland, Iceland and small amounts of specific products from other countries; check with agent for details.
- Protected species and products thereof as listed by the Washington Convention (CITES). For example, ivory, tortoise shells, coral, reptile skins, and wood from Amazonian forests.
Recommended: Contact the destination agent to ensure all requirements have been met prior to import, especially for differences regarding air / sea shipments.
IAM Note: Customs regulations can change at any time with or without notice. This document is provided as a guide and for information only. While IAM has exercised reasonable care in publishing this document, IAM makes no representation, either expressed or implied, as to its accuracy or applicability.