Country Guide: Rwanda
Household Goods and Personal Effects
- Copy of Passport
- Detailed inventory
- Packing list
- Original Bill of Lading (OBL) - no Express Release / Air Waybill ( AWB)
- Original valued inventory in English or French dated and signed by the shipper
- Letter of Employment
- Long-term Visa
- Work Permit
- Non-Governmental Organization Registration Certificate (NGOs)
- All documents must be provided to agent prior to the arrival of the shipment in order to obtain duty-free clearance.
- All new items are subject to payment of duties and taxes.
- Original Registration Card
- Copy of Passport
- Original Purchase Invoice
- Taxes on vehicles will depend on age, power, etc.
- The OBL must show chassis number, engine number, cubic capacity, year of manufacture, brand and model.
- Pet Passport
- Rwanda Veterinary Certificate
- Rabies Certificate
- Proof of ownership
- Pets should be vaccinated at least 30 days prior to entry into Rwanda; however, they must not have been vaccinated more than 12 months prior to entry.
- Firearms and ammunitions (authorization from the territorial administration required)
- A Certificate of Free Entry must be obtained from the Line Ministry Alcohol and other spirits :
- Only "Fond de Cave" is acceptable (less than 15 bottles).
- If the value is higher than $5000, shipper must apply for an Import License and a pre-shipment inspection must be conducted at origin; alcohol should be sent separately from the household goods.
- Local currency (maximum of 5,000 Rwandese Francs)
- The following household goods may be imported duty free by persons 16 years and older within the limits indicated:
- Cigarettes (2 cartons)
- Alcoholic beverages (2 liters)
- Illegal drugs
- Transmission equipment
- Live or dead animals and foodstuff from countries where an epidemic has been present and has been included in a health risk by Rwanda authorities (contact nearest embassy for specific information)
- Items infringing on copyrights
Recommended: Contact the destination agent to ensure all requirements have been met prior to import, especially for differences regarding air / sea shipments.
IAM Note: Customs regulations can change at any time with or without notice. This document is provided as a guide and for information only. While IAM has exercised reasonable care in publishing this document, IAM makes no representation, either expressed or implied, as to its accuracy or applicability.