Country Guide: Saint Lucia
Household Goods and Personal Effects
- Original Bill of Lading (OBL) / Air Waybill (AWB)
- Letter from Ministry of Foreign Affairs (Diplomats)
- Detailed inventory in English (must include the serial numbers for all electrical devices and appliances)
- Bicycles are subject to the payment of duties.
- Items may be imported duty free if the following conditions are met:
- They have been in the owner’s use and possession for more than 1 year.
- They are not intended for sale or exchange.
- They are imported within 3 months of the owner’s arrival.
- The owner signs a declaration in the presence of a Custom’s officer.
- Title / Registration
- Purchase Invoice
- One vehicle per person or family is allowed duty and tax free if the vehicle does not exceed the cost, insurance and freight (CIF) value of USD 15,000 and the following conditions are met:
- The person is a returning national accompanied by the vehicle.
- The vehicle arrives within 3 months prior to or after the vehicle.
- The vehicle is purchased in Saint Lucia within 3 months of a return to Saint Lucia.
- The returning national cannot sell, exchange or dispose of the vehicle within 3 years of importation.
- Motor vehicles designed for use on land or in the water are subject to the payment of duties.
- Vaccination Record
- Veterinary Health Certificate
- Cats, dogs and other pets will be quarantined in the United Kingdom for 6 months prior to importation.
- Pets must be electronically identifiable and possess a valid Health Certificate with rabies inoculation obtained prior to traveling.
- All conditions must be met or the animal is subject to destruction. Contact the destination for specific requirements.
- New furniture and household goods (an original signed commercial invoice is required and subject to duties)
- Arms, ammunition and dangerous goods (require a Permit from the Commissioner of Police and are subject to duties)
- Precious metal objects (e.g., jewelry, coins, etc. are subject to duties unless they are part of the household goods shipment)
- Alcohol (40 ounces of Whisky, Rum and Vodka are permitted)
- Tins and food (are subject to duties)
- Gifts and souvenirs (are subject to duties)
- Plants (a Phytosanitary Certificate is required)
- Wedding trousseaux (is subject to duties)
- Inheritances (is subject to duties)
- Machines, appliances and spare parts (are subject to duties)
- Medicines, narcotics, drugs and paraphernalia
- Items of the occult, black magic, witchcraft or other similar items
- Products made from endangered species as outlined by CITES
- Counterfeit items
Recommended: Contact the destination agent to ensure all requirements have been met prior to import, especially for differences regarding air / sea shipments.
IAM Note: Customs regulations can change at any time with or without notice. This document is provided as a guide and for information only. While IAM has exercised reasonable care in publishing this document, IAM makes no representation, either expressed or implied, as to its accuracy or applicability.