Country Guide: Turkmenistan
Find movers in Turkmenistan now!
Used Household Goods and Personal Effects
- Copy of passport
- Copy of visa
- Original bill of lading (OBL) / air waybill (AWB)
- Packing list
- Letter from embassy to Customs committee (diplomats)
- Diplomatic note approved by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs
- Copy of diplomatic card (diplomats)
- Pro-forma invoice (foreigners and returning citizens)
- Letter of employment (foreigners)
- Customs declaration blank form (to be completed at Customs)
- Foreigners must pay USD $5.00 / hour for Customs service.
- Turkmen citizens are not permitted to import household goods and personal effects on a temporary import basis and must pay full Customs taxes and duties.
- A pre-alert with copies of all documents should be sent 10 days prior to the arrival of the shipment to avoid payment of heavy import duties.
- Permission of Operation Department of Ashgabad Customs Office
- Insurance documentation
- OBL / AWB
- Inspection by state vehicle inspection
- Receipt of plates from state vehicle inspection
- Driving manual for the vehicle
- Temporary / permanent import declaration
- Permission from trans-inspection (diplomats and foreigners)
- Certificate of standard of state (diplomats and foreigners)
- Temporary import declaration (diplomats and foreigners)
- The permanent importation of vehicles is subject to full Customs taxes and duties per fixed Customs tariff (foreigners).
- Vehicles can be imported on a temporary basis with a Customs duty payment of $25.00 + $5 per hour for Customs services (foreigners).
- The sale of a vehicle temporarily imported is restricted (foreigners).
- Certificate of vaccination
- Veterinary health certificate
- Permission from CITES is required for the importation of endangered species.
- Precious jewelry, stones and currency can be imported only as accompanied baggage and must be declared with Customs authorities at the airport.
- Wine and spirits for personal consumption (1L per person)
- The following items may be qualify for free import within the limits indicated:
- Cigarettes (200), cigars (50), cigarillos (100), tobacco (500 g)
- Amounts in excess of limits for free import are subject to duties and taxes as follows:
- US $ 1.00 per liter excise duty
- Up to 30% of value Customs duty (depending on the % of alcohol)
- 15% of the value of the value added tax (VAT)
- 0.2% of value Customs procedures duty
- Hunting weapons (authorization from the Ministry of Interior required)
- Weapons of all kinds
- Toxic and radioactive materials
Recommended: Contact the destination agent to ensure all requirements have been met prior to import, especially for differences regarding air / sea shipments.
Cultural and Other InformationCIA World Factbook Entry for Turkmenistan
IAM Note: Customs regulations can change at any time with or without notice. This document is provided as a guide and for information only. While IAM has exercised reasonable care in publishing this document, IAM makes no representation, either expressed or implied, as to its accuracy or applicability.