Country Guide: Vietnam
Find movers in Vietnam now!
Used Household Goods and Personal Effects
- Copy of passport (identification pages only) with entry stamp*
- Packing list in English
- Bill of lading (telex release) / air waybill (AWB)
- Vietnam entry visa (valid at least 3 or more months) / temporary residence card*
- Original Vietnam arrival-departure card (3 copies shipment)**
- Letter of employment
- Copy of labor contract (Hanoi only)
- Copy of business license
- Vietnam employer’s company license copy
- Copy of work permit (for all sea / air shipments over 300 kgs gross)*
- Application letter
- Owner of the goods’ address in Vietnam
- All air shipments are physically inspected by Customs at the air terminal.
- The average time is approximately 1-2 days.
- Sea shipments will normally undergo physical Customs inspection.
- The average time for Customs clearance is 2-3 days for full container load (FCL) shipments and 3-5 days for less container load (LCL) shipments.
- Sea or air shipments of diplomatic status are exempt from Customs inspections (diplomats).
- All shipments undergo cultural inspections.
- This process takes approximately 3-4 days.
- Inspection may include, but is not limited to, books, art works, DVDs, CDs, antiques.
- All documents should be signed and stamped by the owners of the goods’ registered local employer in Vietnam.
- Antiques shipped into Vietnam should be clearly photographed and well documented.
- Antiques should be inspected and registered upon entry (takes an additional 2 - 3 days).
- Details should be clearly noted on packing list and carton.
- 3 copies of each document are required for each shipment.
- If there are multiple shipments, a separate set of documents (of 3) are required.
- Ho Chi Minh:
- *Certified true copies required, this can be obtained by bringing the original document to the People’s Committee Office of Ho Chi Minh City
- **Documents must be signed and stamped (company seal) by the owner of the goods’ registered local employer in Vietnam.
- Customs requires labor contract copy in additional to above documents.
- All documents must be signed and stamped (company seal) by the owner of the goods’ registered local employer in Vietnam.
- Certified true copies are only required for passport and entry visa / temporary residence card.
- Original passport
- Residency card
- Proof of ownership
- Original purchase invoice
- Owners of the goods cannot bring / import any type of vehicle into Vietnam unless they are working for an UN organization or an Embassy / Consulate, which are under diplomatic status
- Owner of the goods’ passport
- Vaccination record
- Owner of the goods’ entry visa (valid at least 3+ months)
- International health certificate
- Import permit
- Flight arrival details
- Original Vietnam arrival - departure card (3 copies per shipment) (pets traveling as cargo)
- Vietnam employer’s company license copy (pets traveling as cargo)
- Application letter and Power of Attorney (pets traveling as cargo)
- Airway bill (pets traveling as cargo)
- The import permit is required by the Agriculture, Fisheries and Conservation Department.
- Quarantine for pets traveling as cargo is not required.
- Pets should arrive on a weekday (M - F) before 3:30 p.m.
- Duty shall be payable on the following types of liquor at the rate expressed as a percentage of the value of the liquor:
- Liquor with alcohol by volume of less than 30% measured at 20°C:
- Liquor with alcohol by volume of more than 30% measured at 20°C:
- Wine (10-20 bottles duty free):
- Duty shall be payable on tobacco at the following rates:
- >100 cigars: 150% prepared tobacco (> 50 grams): 45%
- >400 cigarettes: 150% all other manufactured tobacco products: 45%
- Personal computers are charged import duty at 15%.
- Personal printers are charged duty at 10%.
- Non-perishable food items and items in cans and other durable packaging can be imported in small amounts.
- Military equipment
- Radio transmitters
- Satellite dishes
- Poisonous chemicals
- Cultural products
- Articles of anti-government nature
- Toys and games which affect public moral education and security
- Pornographic or subversive materials
Recommended: Contact the destination agent to ensure all requirements have been met prior to import, especially for differences regarding air / sea shipments.
Cultural and Other InformationCIA World Factbook Entry for Vietnam
IAM Note: Customs regulations can change at any time with or without notice. This document is provided as a guide and for information only. While IAM has exercised reasonable care in publishing this document, IAM makes no representation, either expressed or implied, as to its accuracy or applicability.