Country Guide: Yemen

Print Friendly and PDF
Updated: November 20, 2015

Find movers in Yemen now!

Used Household Goods and Personal Effects

Documents Required

  • Passport
  • Original Bill of Lading (OBL) / Air Waybill (AWB) (a bank endorsement is required for commercial shipments)
  • Detailed inventory
  • Work Permit
  • Letter of Guarantee
  • Tax Card (commercial shipments)
  • Import License (commercial shipments)
  • Sales Tax Certificate (commercial shipments)
  • Customs Deal Card (commercial shipments)
  • Bank Form 11 (commercial shipments)
  • Invoice (commercial shipments and a bank endorsement is required) (commercial shipments)
  • Receipt for expenses from bank (commercial shipments)
  • Certificate of Origin, legalized (commercial shipments)
  • Radiation Certificate (commercial shipments)


Specific Information

  • Diplomats, Embassy personnel and persons with a bank Letter of Guarantee may import shipments duty free.  The Letter of Guarantee must cover duties or a cash payment as determined by Customs is required.
  • Letter of Guarantee shipments are 100% reimbursable when the goods are re-exported.
  • Commercial shipments are subject to duty payments, sales tax and service frees.

Motor Vehicles

Documents Required

  • Certificate of Origin
  • OBL / AWB
  • Certificate of Manufacturing (must show date of manufacture)
  • Customs Deal Card (for projects and companies)


Specific Information

  • Only vehicles less than 4 years old may be imported.
  • Diplomats and persons guaranteed by a Yemen Ministry may import vehicles duty free; otherwise, Customs duties must be paid.
  • Letter of Guarantees are not accepted for vehicle imports.
  • Vehicles with “trip tickets” are allowed to enter only on tourist basis and for not more than 3 months.  An extension may be applied for an additional 3 months.



Documents Required

  • Vaccination Record
  • Veterinary Health Certificate
  • Import Permit from the Veterinary Office, Department of Agriculture, Yemen


Specific Information

  • The import of birds (live or bird products) requires approval from the local authorities.  Contact the destination agent for specific information.

Restricted/Dutiable Items

  • Videotapes, cassettes, records and CDs (are subject to inspection)
  • Printers and scanners (authorization by the Ministry of the Interior is required; the operation manual must accompany the item)
  • Fax machines (authorization from the Ministry of Telecommunications is required)
  • Books and paintings (are subject to inspection by the Ministry of Culture prior to clearance)
  • Firearms (a special license is required)


Food Products

  • Food items are subject to inspection by the Ministry of Agriculture prior to Customs clearance.
  • Approval from the Ministry of Health and Atomic Energy is required for import.
  • If the items are shipped for commercial purposes, the following must be identified on each carton:
    • Product name and expiration
    • Manufacturing date
    • Name of shipper

Prohibited Items

  • Alcohol
  • Drugs and narcotics
  • Pornographic materials
  • Subversive literature
  • Ink jet printers or work stations

Consignment Instructions

Recommended:  Contact the destination agent to ensure all requirements have been met prior to import, especially for differences regarding air / sea shipments.


Helpful Website(s):


IAM Note: Customs regulations can change at any time with or without notice. This document is provided as a guide and for information only. While IAM has exercised reasonable care in publishing this document, IAM makes no representation, either expressed or implied, as to its accuracy or applicability.