Country Guide: Zambia
Find movers in Zambia now!
Used Household Goods and Personal Effects
- Copy of passport certified by Zambia Revenue Authority
- Packing list
- Original bill of lading (OBL) - express release accepted / air waybill (AWB)
- Copy of resident / work permit certified by Zambia Revenue Authority
- Original letter of employment
- Detailed inventory of new items in English, dated, valued, and signed by the owner of the goods (bought less than 6 months prior to shipment arrival) attached to the original invoices
- Tax Identification Number
- Owner of the goods should be in the country prior to shipment arrival.
- Relevant documents must be received by the agent prior to the arrival of the shipment to minimize any port charges.
- Shipper must be present for Customs clearance if requested by Customs for an interview.
- Original passport of owner of the goods
- Original registration card
- OBL / AWB
- Non-sale certificate
- Car invoice (must show purchase price and date of purchase)
- Letter of transfer (from the shipper`s employer)
- Work permit/ resident/ diplomatic ID
- JEVIC certificate (if vehicle is coming from Japan, Singapore, South Africa or UK)
- OBL must include chassis number, engine number, color, model, make and weight of the vehicle.
- The duty rate on new cars is 25% of the invoice value + 16% value added tax.
- The excise duty is 30%
- Carbon tax is $30.00
- In order to avoid any unnecessary delays and charges for demurrage and storage due to lengthy Customs procedures, the agent must receive a copy of the required documentation prior to arrival of the shipment; check with agent for specific timeframes.
- Veterinary health certificate
- Vaccination record
- Permission to import animals is required from the Government Veterinary.
- Note: The Government Veterinary is the section under the Ministry of Fisheries and Livestock in Zambia that examines animals and issues permits to the exporters and importers.
- Electrical items, 25% of the invoice value and 16% VAT
- Computers, 15% of the invoice value and 16% VAT
- Firearms and ammunition (authorization from the territorial administration is required)
- Alcohol and spirits should be sent separately from a personal effects shipment and are subject to 100% tax.
- Endangered species and any products or parts thereof as outlined by the Washington Convention or CITES (authorization from CITES is required).
- Hunting weapons (authorization from the Ministry of Interior is required)
- Cigarettes (200), cigars (50), cigarillos (100), tobacco (500 g), alcohol (2.5 L), spirits (2.5 L)
- Unlawful drugs
- Counterfeit items
- Cultural artifacts and other objects of cultural importance
- Palm trees and any byproducts
- Explosive materials
Recommended: Contact the destination agent to ensure all requirements have been met prior to import, especially for differences regarding air / sea shipments.