Country Guide: Burkina Faso
Find movers in Burkina Faso now!
Used Household Goods and Personal Effects
- Copy of passport
- Packing list
- Original bill of lading (OBL) - no express release accepted / air waybill (AWB)
- Original detailed inventory in French, dated, valued and signed by the owner of the goods
- Residence permit / work permit / letter of employment / certificate of change of residence (from the City Hall or departure consulate)
- Non-sale Certificate (The document must state that the client will not sell personal household goods)
- Bordereau Electronique de Suivi de Cargaison / Electronic Cargo Tracking Note (BESC)
- Diplomatic Exemption (Diplomats)
- A Certificate for Free Entry must be obtained from the Customs head office to avoid a duty payment.
- An import tax will be levied on all non-diplomatic personal effects shipments (UEMOA Tax 1.5% declared value for HHGs & 2.5% for vehicles).
- A COTECNA pre-inspection is requested for commercial goods beyond 3 million CFA f ($ 6 174 / 4 574 €). The pre-inspection must be organized with COTECNA in the origin country; otherwise, the fine to be paid to the customs authorities is 20% of the total value of the goods.
- The taxable goods must be accompanied by all the usual documents in addition to the commercial invoice with the detailed value and the number of each item, the number of pieces and the total weight.
- The Diplomatic Exemption may take up to 4 weeks to obtain so ensure that you work with the agent in Burkina Faso to initiate the process as soon as possible. It may be wise to see if the agent in Burkina Faso recommends holding the shipment at origin before shipping to ensure there are no unnecessary charges at destination.
- The diplomatic organization must apply for the diplomatic exemption.
- Original vehicle registration / title
- OBL / AWB
- Non-sale certificate
- Vehicle condition report -- secured prior to shipping
- Vehicles imported temporarily are taxed at approximately 2.5%
- All other vehicles are approximately 48%.
- Taxes are based on the CIF value of the shipment.
- Veterinarian health certificate
- Rabies vaccination certificate
- Rabies vaccination certificate must be issued no less than 3 weeks before or no more than 60 days prior to arrival.
- Firearms and ammunition (authorization from the territorial administration is required)
- The following household goods may be imported duty free within the limits indicated:
- Cigarettes (200)
- Cigars (50)
- Tobacco (50g)
- Perfume (250ml)
- Alcohol (only “Fond de Cave”) and less than 30 bottles
- Wine (1 bottle) and spirits (1 bottle)
IAM Note: None of the above restrictions apply to Diplomats.
- Unlawful drugs
- Guns, explosives, and ammunition
- Knives and deadly weapons
- Plants and plant materials
- Meat and meat byproducts
- Hazardous materials
- Counterfeit items (e.g., currency)
- Pornographic materials
Recommended: Contact the designation agent to ensure all requirements have been met prior to import, especially for differences regarding air / sea shipments.