Country Guide: Angola
Find movers in Angola now!
Used Household Goods and Personal Effects
- Copy of Passport
- Work Permit / Visa
- Letter of Employment
- Airplane ticket copy with valid return flight for UAB
- Original household goods invoice, if possible (new items)
- Cartao de Contribuinte (tax card)
- Diplomatic Card (Diplomats)
- Exemption Certificate (Diplomats)
- CNCA certificate
- Valued inventory in USD
- Pro-forma Invoice
- Import License
- Original Bill of Lading (OBL) / Air Waybill (AWB) / Sea or Airfreight Invoice
- Packing list in Portuguese or English (with each item valued and categorized)
- Admission / Franchise stamped by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs (Diplomats)
- Request for Franchise stamped by SONANGOL (oil companies and subcontractors)
- A pre-inspection in the country of origin is required regardless of the cost, insurance and freight (CIF) value for tobacco, drinks, plants, chemical products, toys, motorbikes, used cars, bicycles, and food items; however, if the shipper is entitled to an exemption (Diplomats), a pre-inspection is not required even if the above mentioned items are imported.
- Extra charges cannot be avoided in Angloa (approximately $3,000 and $4,000)
- All electrical appliances, equipment, and bicycles, markings and brand name must be shown on the Pro-forma invoice.
- The CIF value should not be beyond USD 10,000.000 A CIF value beyond USD 10,000.00 will be subject to a 2% tax to be paid to Customs authorities for diplomatic or non-diplomatic shipments.
- Cartao de contribuinte can only be obtained after the client has obtained his work permit
- On the CNCA certificate for all sea / freight, imports, sea freight should be mentioned on it at cost.
- Shipments containing bicycles, motorbikes, chemical products, toys, second-hand vehicles, plants, food, and beverages are subject to inspection in the origin country; Customs will charge a fine of 100% of the CIF value if the necessary procedures have not been followed.
- The Pro-forma Invoice must include the quantity, description, value, and condition (used or new) for all items. It must also include the CIF value (e.g., FOB, freight and insurance).
- The Pro-forma Invoice must be on the letterhead of the origin agent, stamped and signed and with the shipper and consignee with details clearly noted.
- Copy of Entry Visa
- Declaration of Value signed by the shipper
- Copy of plane ticket with valid return flight
- Letter of Employment (must identify the name, job title, and company of person who will receive the vehicle as employed by the company
- Packing list in Portuguese or in English
- Original documents for the vehicle
- Importer’s taxation number (importation license)
- Copy of Cartao de contribuinte (delivered by the Ministry of Finance)
- Vehicles should be shipped in a container separate from household goods.
- Vehicles older than 3 years (from date of manufacture to date of entry in Angola) cannot be imported into Angola.
- VERITAS visit is compulsory before shipping whatever the CIF value is: o For the import of car for companies, an import license is needed. o For the import of car for private use, see the requirements for temporary and definitive imports below: Temporary Import
- The vehicle can stay in Angola for 2 years with a possible one-year extension.
- A bond deposit of 40-45% of CIF value is required. Definitive Import
- Requires 40-45% tax based on CIF value.
- Import taxes on all vehicles (except pick up with 5% tax) is 10% plus VAT which ranges as follows:
- Gasoline engine
- Up to 1500 cc: 10%
- 1500 to 3000 cc: 20%
- Over 2500 cc: 30%
- Diesel engine
- 1500 to 2500 cc: 20%
- Over 25600 cc: 30%
- Diplomatic shipments containing vehicles are not subjected to PSI since they are cleared with a Diplomatic Franchise at destination.
- Customs clearance should begin as soon as the shipment arrives in Luanda; any late clearance (that is beyond the 30th day following the arrival date) due to lack of required documentation will be fined with 5% based on the CIF value.
- Clearance on a diplomatic shipment begins when the franchise is received, which can take more than 2 weeks to be issued; non-diplomatic shipments require that all paperwork is in order.
- Vaccination Record
- Veterinarian Health Certificate
- Documents must accompany imported animals.
- Firearms, ammunitions, and other deadly weapons (permission from the Ministry of Interior is required)
- Fireworks and explosives (authorization from the Ministry of Interior required)
- Plant and plant materials
- Pornographic materials
- Counterfeit items
Recommended: Contact the destination agent to ensure all requirements have been met prior to import, especially for differences regarding air / sea shipments.
IAM Note: Customs regulations can change at any time with or without notice. This document is provided as a guide and for information only. While IAM has exercised reasonable care in publishing this document, IAM makes no representation, either expressed or implied, as to its accuracy or applicability.