eGov/Mil Newsletter: December 16, 2016
In this Issue:
- SDDC Release the 2017 Solicitations
- SDDC Advisory 17-0027 Recalculation of CSS Scores for 15 May 2017 thru 31 Jul 2017 PP
- IAM Senior Vice President to Speak at CMSA Chapter Meetings
- Implementation of FMCSA’s new carrier registration system delayed indefinitely
- Defense Bill to Allow Drivers to Use TWIC Cards as ID at Military Bases
- Government Shutdown Averted With Spending Through April
- New DPS Rate Filing User Guide Issued
- DOD & Government Personal Property News & Notes
- IAM Military News and Resources Page
- Truckers applaud move to revert to pre-2013 Hours of Service regulations
- Port of L.A. Sets New Cargo Record, Long Beach Lags Due to Hanjin Bankruptcy
The Surface Deployment and Distribution Command (SDDC) provided IAM copies of its 2017 Solicitations, the 2017 International Tender and the 2017 400NG tariff, on Dec. 6 and asked that we distribute them to the membership. For some reason SDDC initially had difficulties posting these new documents to their website but as of Dec. 14, the Solicitations are available in their “What’s New” section.
The other critical 2017 documents needed for rate determination are also now posted on both the SDDC and IAM websites: 2017 DPS International Channel Control Listing, the IT-17 State GBLOC Item 500 Table, IT-17 Linehaul Schedules and the IT-17 520A Schedules.
Also available on the SDDC website are the 2017 400NG Baseline Rates. The file can found by following the directions below.
Find the “Defense Personal Property Program” listing (Center Block of page).
- Click on Defense Personal Property Program(DP3)
- Click on Phase II Business Rule Attachments
Click on Domestic Folder and the file is listed as 2017 400NG Baseline Rates
A number of Changes have been incorporated into the new Solicitations. However, a number of very onerous proposed changes did not come to fruition as a result of questions raised by IAM.
What changes should IAM members focus on:
2017 International Tender
- Regionalization changes announced for January 1, 2017, February 1, 2017 and April 1, 2017
- Item 200 – Application of Tender
- New wording is included which requires “When filing DP3 rates, TSPs assume any risks associated with cost variables related to any subcontractor or supporting service provider (e.g. claims, invoicing, etc.).” This is aimed directly at the recent US Bank Transaction Fee increases that occurred mid-cycle. It appears SDDC wants to ensure that TSPs consider any possible fee increases in their rate determination process. The Item goes on to say that “DoD will not reimburse or allow "pass through" of any such charges.”
- Item 508 – Crating
- New Note: Crates will be constructed in such a manner that they may be reused by the customer for future moves. TSP shall uncrate item(s) ensuring that component parts of the crate are not destroyed during disassembly and crate may be reused by the customer for future moves. If the customer elects not to retain the crate, TSP shall remove the crate from the residence.
- Item 1602 – a number of new channels. The channel control listing should be carefully reviewed.
- Rate increases for all CONUS rates were based on a General Price Adjustment calculation of “of 1.813843527%”
- Item 4 - “Adjusted requirement to enter weights into DPS from 7 Government Business Days (GBD) to 4 GBDs after pickup or prior to shipment arrival.”
- Item 8 – Added the same new wording included in the International Tender - “When filing DP3 rates, TSPs assume any risks associated with cost variables related to any subcontractor or supporting service provider (e.g. claims, invoicing, etc.).” This is aimed directly at the recent US Bank Transaction Fee increases that occurred mid-cycle. It appears SDDC wants to ensure that TSPs consider any possible fee increases in their rate determination process. The Item goes on to say that “DoD will not reimburse or allow "pass through" of any such charges.”
- Item 105 – “Clarified preapproval requirements for uncrating.” TSPs must now request preapproval for uncrating before it is officially authorized.
- Item 105 New Note (J) - Crates will be constructed in such a manner that they may be reused by the customer for future moves. TSP shall uncrate item(s) ensuring that component parts of the crate are not destroyed during disassembly and crate may be reused by the customer for future moves. If the customer elects not to retain the crate, TSP shall remove the crate from the residence.
- Billing Change: All Domestic crating will be based on a rate of $22.75/cu. ft. times the GBL discount.
Both Solicitations should be reviewed carefully before filing rates. Not all changes have been included above. It is the TSP’s responsibility to read the Solicitations and ensure that all changes are fully evaluated.
Source: SDDC & IAM
On December 8, 2016 SDDC released Advisory 17-0027 which outlines the process for recalculation and appeal of the Customer Satisfaction Scores (CSS) scores for the May 15, 2017 – July 31, 2017 Performance Period.
The critical information in this message are the details for the process of reviewing and appealing Customer Satisfaction Scores for this period. There will be no “mini-appeal” periods as there were in advance of the 2016 rate filing.
The message indicates that:
“December’s monthly upload is scheduled to be completed on 5 January and the window to submit CSS appeals will run through 2359 CST on 9 Jan 2017. Due to the short timeframe TSPs are encouraged to begin immediately begin identifying (sic) shipments eligible for appeals in preparation for the appeals window. Any appeal received after 2359 CST on 9 Jan 2017 will not be considered.”
TSPs must be diligent and as the message indicates, begin immediately identifying shipments eligible for appeals. The window for appeals is VERY narrow.
Source: IAM & SDDC
On January 11 and 12, 2017 IAM’s Senior Vice President, Charles White, will be speaking on current military issues at two California Moving & Storage Association (CMSA) chapter meetings. On January 11 Charles will speak to the CMSA San Diego Chapter and the following evening he will speak to the Central Valley Chapter in Lemoore, CA.
Both of these events are open to not only CMSA members but also to IAM members, even if they are not CMSA members. Proceeds raised from both events go toward supporting very worthwhile causes.
Information on this events can be found at:
Sources: IAM & CMSA
Implementation of FMCSA’s new carrier registration system delayed indefinitely
The Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration is once again delaying the final implementation of its Unified Registration System, which existing carriers will use for their biannual updates, name changes and transfers of authority. FMCSA says it will issue a notice in early January to announce the revised implementation dates.
Defense Bill to Allow Drivers to Use TWIC Cards as ID at Military Bases
The 2017 National Defense Authorization Act passed by Congress on Dec. 8 contains a provision that will permit truck drivers to soon use their Transportation Worker Identification Credential as sole proof of identity when entering any of the nation’s 700 military installations.
Government Shutdown Averted With Spending Through April
President Obama signed a temporary spending bill that keeps the government open and funded through April 28 and includes the Pentagon’s highest procurement priorities. Senators voted 63-36 to pass the continuing resolution on Tuesday night. Save for specifically named anomalies, a continuing resolution denies the Defense Department authority to start new programs, increase production rates, or initiate multiyear procurement.
New DPS Rate Filing User Guide Issued
The Defense Personal Property System (DPS) Program Management Office has issued a new DPS Rate Filing User Guide which has been posted on the IAM website.
TSPs should review the document before the beginning of the 2017 DP3 rate filing which opens on January 12, 2017.
Sources: IAM & DPS PMO
2017 DP3 Rate Filing dates
Rate Filing Dates/Times:
Round 1: 12 Jan 17 (6:00 PM CST) – 20 Jan 17 (6:00 PM CST)
Round 2: 9 Feb 17 (6:00 PM CST) – 16 Feb 17 (6:00 PM CST)
Don’t Forget CIP & COR are Due
Please remember that DP3 Transportation Service Providers must complete their Certificate of Independent Pricing (CIP) and Certificate of Responsibility (COR) in the Defense Personal Property System (DPS) by December 28, 2016 in order to be eligible to file rates for 2017.
DOD Shipments To/From Turkey
International TSPs should take note in advance of the 2017 Rate Filing that DOD shipments to/from Turkey have seen a significant reduction in size.
Following the coup attempt earlier this year in Turkey, U.S. DOD dependents were evacuated from the country. Troop rotations continue to occur into Turkey but it appears that these rotations will be “unaccompanied tours” (without dependents). Shipments for individual servicemembers moving to/from Turkey will be significantly smaller than what has been historical practice. It appears this policy will remain in place for the foreseeable future.
GSA ERRC Message
The Government Services Administration’s Employee Relocation Resource Center issued the following message on 12/15/16
The General Services Administration's (GSA's) Employee Relocation Resource Center (ERRC) is issuing Supplement 1 to GSA's Domestic 500A-2016 Tariff (GSA500A). Here is the link to Supplement 1 (see page 2 for a description of the changes). The GSA500A, including this Supplement 1, has an effective date of December 16, 2016.
We are also in the process of uploading Supplement 1 to our website at https://www.gsa.gov/portal/content/103864 where it should be available within the next week.
Fuel Surcharge for Period 12/15/16 to 1/14/17
The price of fuel was $2.48 per gallon as reported on Monday, December 5, 2016 making the upcoming FSC rates for the period 12/15/16 through 1/14/17 as follows:
GBL Domestic HHG / International HHG – 0%
GSA Domestic HHG – $0.00
GSA International HHG and BAG – $0.00
There is no fuel surcharge applicable for the specified period.
- DPS Rate Filing Message
- 2016 International Tender - Change 3 Dated November 22, 2016
- 2016 400NG – Change 3 Dated November 15, 2016
- IT-16 State GBLOC Item 500 Table Change 2 – Effective January 1, 2017
- PPSO Regionalizations Effective 01 January 2017 – 10/27/16
IAM Military News and Resources Page
The IAM Military News and Resources page provides military-based information in an easy-to-navigate tabbed format. In addition, IAM is linking to SDDC Personal Property updates and categorizing them by topic. Currently, on the SDDC website, these updates are hard to find and are organized chronologically – not a very user-friendly way to display information. This new system on the IAM site should make it easy for IAM members to easily find the important information they need. Contact Carl Weaver with questions.
Sources: IAM, & SDDC
Truckers applaud move to revert to pre-2013 Hours of Service regulations
Trucking interests are applauding a congressional fix to the controversial “34-hour restart” provision that was making long-term route planning difficult for shippers and carriers.
Port of L.A. Sets New Cargo Record, Long Beach Lags Due to Hanjin Bankruptcy
Containerized cargo volume at the nation’s top two largest ports was mixed in November as Los Angeles continues to experience a record-breaking year and Long Beach suffers from the bankruptcy of the Hanjin Shipping Co.